Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well I don't know if it's the best but my favorite for my leverguns is the Montana Sling. For my heavier bolt guns it's too narrow and cuts into my shoulder.
Key

·
Registered
821 Posts
ive always favored the leather military slings. i run them on almost all rifles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
keyston44 said:
Well I don't know if it's the best but my favorite for my leverguns is the Montana Sling. For my heavier bolt guns it's too narrow and cuts into my shoulder.
Key
+1 on the Montana Slings for lever guns and a 22LR/22mag I have. I use Turner Leather Slings for my American milsurp rifles.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I like the simple leather one Marlin sold with their brand on it out of the factory store..wish we could bend enough ears for Remlin to bring them back :'(

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
my own designe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hammerdamage said:
What is best rifle sling out there?
Hammerdamage, not sure what your looking for in the best sling. For a functional sling, comfortable, light weight, and very fast to adjust I like the Super Sling, they have always worked great for me. If you want something that looks nicer I like the custom leather slings. I had Gibby's leather make a complete set for my new SDG last year and he did a fine job on it.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the relpies.....hunting 7000 acres and carrry rifle a lot times......heard a lot of good replies to montana sling....is sewed one better than the snap one?....1 inch better than wider one?

·
Registered
107 Posts
+1 for Gibby's! Had him make one for my daughter and I can't recommend him enough. The narrow sling she had cut into her shoulder and she almost gave up hunting... Couldn't let that happen, so had Gibby add extra padding. I can't find a picture, but it came out beautiful and she's now planning on an elk hunt w/me this November.

Oh, his prices are pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have a Montana sling on one rifle, several traditional military slings, one nylon quick adjustable sling with the big shoulder pad (cobra style I call them) and one made out of some sort of black rubber. All are functional and work fine. Probably my favorites are the military style leather ones with the double rows of holes and the brass hooks. If you know how to use one properly, they are amazing. The Montana ranks high for looks and practicality but not so much on versatility. It's just a basic sling. Does what it's intended for well and looks good doing it but I think I want a bit more function. The nylon sling I have with a quick adjust feature and the big shoulder pad is a camo print and I really don't care for the looks of it but I have to admit that it works real well, is light weight and will probably last forever. Problem is, I just like the traditional look and feel of a nicely oiled leather sling. For all around looks, function and versatility though, one of my favorites is the leather sling that used to come with Remington 700 rifles back in the 70's and 80's. It's a bit narrow but comfortable. It will do almost everything a military sling will do bit with a bit less adjustment. It doesn't have any holes or hooks, just M buckles. and you can set it up as a target sling if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts