Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated, sling stud installed toward forward end of forestock, how much could/may this affect the value.
rear stud apparently in bullseye location, not really worried about that.
have not held gun, only phone pics so can't tell much from those, supposed to be nice though.
oh, and it's a '52 SC, unmolested waffle, and, it's in 35 rem.
thanks for the advice/input.

·
Premium Member
12,022 Posts
I wouldn't like it if it were mine...............

I think I'd implant something into the remaining holeeven if i had to enlarge the hole..........Maybe another Bullseye, or a cartridge head matching the caliber of the rifle..........or a Antler button?..........

Its not a deal killer............but you could negotiate that point prior to the sale.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
As stated, sling stud installed toward forward end of forestock, how much could/may this affect the value.
rear stud apparently in bullseye location, not really worried about that.
have not held gun, only phone pics so can't tell much from those, supposed to be nice though.
oh, and it's a '52 SC, unmolested waffle, and, it's in 35 rem.
thanks for the advice/input.
Buy it cheaper because of these defects and then restore it by filling the holes with whatever but don't try to hide them completely. Won't affect resale in my view especially in that nice useable calibre.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It wouldn't keep me from buying it, if the price was right but I wouldn't like it. I would replace the bullseye and plug the hole in the
forarm and refinish the wood. Grampa used to say "you can't shoot a deer with that rifle on your shoulder". Luck favors those that are prepaired.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
When looking at a 336SC or 1950's Savage 99, I have a set of deductions. Not saying they are accurate, but what I use. To me, drillled for swivels, is a 10% deduction on what I would be otherwise willing to pay on a unmolested gun, that is in good or shooter condition.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It shouldn't be a deal killer. Just ask the owner to "Lower the price considering the drilled fore stock".
Then don't haggle over the amount of the reduction. Buy it and restore it as mentioned before. An excellent restoration (furniture re-do) should render it invisible.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
That would not stop me from buying the rifle but that would be a easy fix should it be a problem for you. You can replace the forearm or simply take the stud out and fill the hole. If done properly you would never know it was there unless you really looked for it. Forearms are really not that expensive should you decide to replace it.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
If the price is right, go for it.........:top:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unless you're talking about a museum-quality rifle that's rare enough to be collectible for some reason, a well-done sling swivel may add a little bit of value rather than detract from it.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
If it was put in properly I would say go for it and not look back. I bought a model 36 that the hole was drilled off center and wound up filling it with sanding dust and super glue.

Far as putting one in the bulls eye, I've done that on purpose to preserve the wood on my 336CB.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the good advice.
Turns out, looks like butt stock has been shortened, recoil pad, i'm gonna pass.
thanks again.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
If the price is right you should get it anyway and restock it old timey. I done that with the model 36 I mentioned that they drilled the fore stock for a sling swivel.

Shown is the gun as it is now.

How is was when I purchased it, very shortened stock.

With a 2X4 attached to runs some test loads before getting the replacement stock.

The hole in the fore end after one coat of BLO, it is hardly noticed now that it has many more coats and the wood is much darker.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, but the price isn't right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.