Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking for some collective wisdom here

I have been gather parts and sorting out my Chiappa Alaskan 20" in .44 mag.

Got the Weaver Scout rail installed and a Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33 installed. Shoots quite nicely for what the rifle is. Have some 240gr magtech as a plinking load and some 200 Hornady XTP for hunting loads.

Now, slings

As I see it, I have 3 options

1) Drill and tap both halves of the gun for sling studs (Not convinced wonderful idea)
2) Get a leather no drill - type sling (Though some seem to need a "clamp" for the front attachment on the tube and I'm not sure it's a good idea with the the tube spinning to enable takedown)
3) Saddle ring and single point sling - looks to me as if the receiver has the holes for a saddle ring - do we think this could work for a single point attachment?

Anyone any ideas?

Scrummy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wreagan. How do you find the mount to the mag tube? How easily does it come off for take down?

Scrummy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No idea on the sling but curious how well the gun shoots? Any range photos with that setup?
No range photo's or targets I'm afraid but here's one of the set up as current:

Shoots about 2.5" at 100 but only tried magtech in it (And I've never used a scout scope before so room for and might well improve with other ammo / more shooter practise)

Hoping to hunt with the rifle this year, Muntjac, Roe and Fallow on the options ;)

Scrummy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks wreagan. How do you find the mount to the mag tube? How easily does it come off for take down?

Scrummy
The mount is included with the sling. Watch the video at 01:47 you can see the mount in the plastic bag. No need to take it off unless you just want to. The sling swivel appears to go on like a standard Uncle Mike swivel. I would just remove sling and swivel and let the mount installed. Removing the mount frequently might cause it not fit properly.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Nice video thanks for sharing it. I got a ROSSI 92 .44 Mag.I want to put a sling on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi folks, ordered a Slogun Outdoors Ultraflex Shotgun Loop Sling (Also good as a no drill option for levers they say). If no good for my lever, can go on my O/U for upland. Will report back!

Scrummy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, a little update.

1) Found the eye relief on the 1.5-5x33 was a little short so took it off and replaced it with a Burris Fastfire III (3 moa dot)
2) Sling works well enough though I do wonder about a clamp on the barrel band or a sling mount on the scout rail (Got a cheapy coming to have a look at)

Scrummy

·
Registered
236 Posts
The mount is included with the sling. Watch the video at 01:47 you can see the mount in the plastic bag. No need to take it off unless you just want to. The sling swivel appears to go on like a standard Uncle Mike swivel. I would just remove sling and swivel and let the mount installed. Removing the mount frequently might cause it not fit properly.
With the Alaskan being a take down which requires unscrewing the mag tube, the front sling mount would have to come off, or be loosened in order to turn the tube. Probably not a good option for this one but I do like the looks of the setup.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Willis,

CHiappa say you can't fit one. Did you find you could?

Scrummy
Well both Taylors and Chiappa both say no to a saddle ring.

I have ordered a barrel clasp sling swivel which fits a 20 bore. (Same OD as the barrel hanger) so will try that.

Scrummy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just if your interested folks,

Fitted a shotgun barrel clamp sling swivel stud to the Alaskan this morning on the magazine tube hanger:

And with clamp:

Now to get the stock drilled for rear sling swivel.

ATB,

Scrummy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts