Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've used my rifle a few times since I bought it back in September and it runs beautifully 70 years after it left the New Haven factory. There's just one thing I don't like about it...the magazine spring is REALLY stiff. Of course it needs to be to work properly but it's a bit of a thumb breaker shoving rounds in.

I wanted to cut back the spring a little bit so it won't be so bad but I wanted to hear from people who may have tried this already for feedback. Someone let me know if this is a good idea or if I should just keep pushing until my thumb learns to deal with it.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
24,125 Posts
never shortened a spring. but ive seen a small hand made tool some have made to assist in loading. someone here will be along with a photo of something. I think it was on this site I saw it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen that load assist tool, I just think I'd rather do without it so I wouldn't need to rely on it in a jam. Still might buy it just for fun

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is it the magazine spring or the loading gate spring that seems to be tough? if it seems to be the mag spring I would clean and polish the inside of the tube and the follower before I thought about cutting the spring.
charlie

·
Super Moderator
12,116 Posts
Another tip is to not push every round in all the way but to leave the rim of the cartridge sticking out just a little. This way each successive round forces the one in front into the magazine instead of having to force them all past the loading gate with your thumb.

·
Super Moderator
9,013 Posts
Let us know after replacing the spring how it loads. Interesting to know how the spring got kinked...
When inserting the long mag spring make sure you are not twisting it as you shove it in. Push it down straight in a little at a time until you get the whole spring in.

Reactions: ChrisZ96

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
You can tweak the end of the spring inward with a needlenose,that is the open coil,so it is sure to enter the follower and not bind against the magazine tube. Cut the spring off 4 or 5 inches past the muzzle. It will lessen loading effort and still feed reliably. Update us with the report.

Rob

Reactions: ChrisZ96

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I think a thorough mag tube clean and wax in in order (inside) while it's out. I can't imagine how one of those gets kinked, unless it got stepped on or something when it was out the last time. After 70 years, it's hard to tell what it's been through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts