Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use something like the lead sled when working up a load. Seems like they would work good even on lite recoil, but would be great on the heavy stuff. I like my guns to shoot better than me and this would take some of the human error out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I have a lead sled with the 25pd shot bag and it does move on the 30-30 and 45-70 when I zero in or check my scope settings on my rifle with what ever factory round I get at the time(aint got to do any reloading yet still buying the equip and supplies).
The bench I use I mark the area where the front adj. feet set and after I fire I move the leadsled back into position. I love mine and it is great when you have to do any adjustments to the scope.

Reactions: Oregon Stihl

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use a Lead Sled without weight. I feel it weighs enough by it's self. Even with the heavy recoil guns like my 45-70 or my 54 caliber muzzle loader it reduces recoil. I feel the gun should move a little when shot so no bad things happen to the stock.

Key

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I use one but I shake a lot and can't steady the gun like I use too. Love mine when I hunt Prairie Dogs and go to the Range. Use sticks in the field.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Prairie Dog Hunt #3.jpg

·
Registered
970 Posts
a fellow on the GBO forum broke a handirifle stock when he put too much weight on a lead sled.

BB

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have been using a 25 pound lead shot bag with my sled when shooting the 45-70 or anything else for sighting in and developing loads,so far,no problems with broken stocks but due to reading these posts,I am not going to take any chances,from now on,no weight.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Anyone use something like the lead sled when working up a load. Seems like they would work good even on lite recoil, but would be great on the heavy stuff. I like my guns to shoot better than me and this would take some of the human error out of it.
I use a lead sled. It's the Caldwell Lead Sled DFT. For me it serves two purposes. Figuring out heavy loads can be hard for the old shoulder to handle. But to me the most important purpose for the lead sled is to take out the human error aspect. Heck, I'd be willing to lock the rifle in a vise if I could! I can't hold a rifle still enough to decide which is the most accurate load.................so the lead sled lets me "park" the rifle on the bulls-eye and only be responsible for lightly pulling the trigger. I'd use a trigger release if I could figure out how to make one work for all my different rifles. If I get a round punching multiple shots in one jagged hole, then I'll know it's up to me to do that in the field. At least I don't have to wonder if the missed shot is the fault of the round or the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I guess I am old school or too damn cheap, I use a sack of corn or just simple shooting bags. I guess I need to rethink this and see if i can sqeeze any more accuracy out of my rifles using a sled. Although I seem to be able to get great groups with the set-ups I have on my rifles.

One thing I do not like is sitting down behind a bench to shoot as it is not the way I shoot in the field, nor do i like the affects of the recoil from that position. I prefer standing so my body can move a bit and absorb/rock on the recoil.

I will continue to see others response as I may have to give the sled a whirl

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I need something better than I use for load development. For that reason I think this is a good thread to read as I consider what I will finally get.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/144256-inaccurate-45-colt-gun-me.html

I'm thinking a single support might do me better since I find that support directly under the joint between forearm and receiver gives me best accuracy and a full sled puts support forward of that juncture. YMMV here more than it does anywhere else. Heck, it's likely to vary from gun to gun, let alone shooter to shooter.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I need something better than I use for load development. For that reason I think this is a good thread to read as I consider what I will finally get.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/144256-inaccurate-45-colt-gun-me.html

I'm thinking a single support might do me better since I find that support directly under the joint between forearm and receiver gives me best accuracy and a full sled puts support forward of that juncture. YMMV here more than it does anywhere else. Heck, it's likely to vary from gun to gun, let alone shooter to shooter.
Which is why I slide the forward support structure of the sled back to a point I can rest the rifle just forward of the lever.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I use a cheap sled that cost me about 25 bucks. I will be scrapping it for one like Russel has because it's a pain to have to take the rifle off to chamber another round.
I only use it to test hand loads for accuracy. But most of my shooting is done in stimulated field positions. I even take a camping stool to simulate sitting in my tree stand.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I havent got one yet but I will eventually for the reason XMAN stated... checking accuracy of handloads. I already know my rifle will out shoot me but I still want what it will do with a certain powder so yeah I will be getting a sled.

Doc

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Mrguvna has a point. The sled, or bags are great for load development. And for people who hold, and torque their rifles exactly the same way as when on the sled or bags, will find sights dead on when field shooting offhand. For people like me shooting off hand, especially when field shooting a tight sling with the swivel attachment on the barrel (especially a featherweight barrel), my point of impact changes enough. Enough that I don't consider my rifles zeroed, until I confirm it off hand, which always involves adjusting the point of impact from the benched zero.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have less than 10 lbs on my lead sled. It moves when i shoot almost anything. But, it takes enough recoil out of my 45-70 or 35 Whelen to make it easy to shoot. I use it for load development and zeroing my scopes. It takes very little weight to take the edge off the recoil and that is all you need.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I've used my sled with enough weight it won't move.............and I've used it without weight. Frankly, I like using it without weight because I'm afraid of what "locking" it down might do to the butt-stock. But you're right, even without weight it takes the bite out of a heavy load......just enough to be tolerable for 50 or 100 test rounds.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I looked at the Sled when went to a well equipped LGS trying to find something other than the sand bags supplied at the local gun range. I only wanted a support system that would allow me to sight in my Winchester Model 94 that I had put a new mount and scope on to replace what the original owner installed on it over 50 years ago. I looked at the sled and found it too big an cummersome to carry back and forth to the range. It was also fairly expensive. Instead, I bought the Matrix, made by the same company that makes the sled:

DSCN0180.jpg

This neat little package allows me to set up my rifle in the same spot every time so I can practice with the scope without spending a lot of time jostling it around to get it back to where I put it. It keeps the rifle steady and it does not move around as I am taking aim. I can put the empty brass into a "Well" behind the front support after firing. Convenient. I also use it to clean my rifles on a solid base. I paid $40 for it. It does what I need it to do without spending a fortune.

Cheers!

Mike T.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts