Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but in today's age of customer "no" service, and outsourcing the buyers contacts to folks in India named "Bobby", it is a rare find when we as consumers, uncover something special. Andy at Skinnersights.com is absolutely something special.

I ordered his stainless steel "Alaskan" version of the Skinner Sight, as a replacement for the factory set up....and let me tell you... it is a stunning work of beauty. The quality of the machining is top notch... absolutely top notch.

Yet it is not the product that caught me off guard, but his customer service. I ordered the sight on line, then realized that I had not ordered the blank to replace the factory dove tail on the barrel. I emailed him, and requested he put the dovetail in the box, and I would send him a check to avoid paying postage twice for two small orders.

Well, by the time I sent the email, he had already mailed out the parcel.... but here is where it gets good. The guy sent the dovetail free of charge, because he wanted to make me happy. He refused payment for shipping or the piece, and with a good natured email, mentioned that he had included a "surprise". (Lord I love surprises...except the ones that involve yard work, and are assigned by my wife....not so good.)

So if you are considering XS or Skinner sights..... go Skinner. XS couldn't care less about you.... google it. Complaints abound. With the skinner sight, you get a ghost ring, and adaptable peeps. More importantly, you get repair for life, AMAZING response and customer service, and the product is TOP NOTCH.

Give someone who cares about his reputation your money....you won't regret it.

Chris

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1.... Skinner sights are the real deal. I have 4 sets and have always been a very satisfied customer. Andy has made a great transition and continues the great work started by Dr. Skinner.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
I agree 110% , Andy and his crew are Top Notch :congrats:, and the products are Awesome

BloodGroove4570
........And.........

Hello Chris and Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!
What are you putting that FINE Skinner on :questionmark:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris.

Have a look around, lots of great folks here.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

In answer to BG4570, it is for a stainless GG. (45-70 of course!) I grew up with Marlins.

Matter of fact, I still have an old wall hanger Model 1893, where the barrel was bent and the stock was broken in an attack by a grizzly, who mauled and then killed my great grandfathers brother. Since they owned a general store in the area, he nailed the stock together, used some form of wood putty, and put a longer barrel on it. (They were practical in those days.)

Where it really gets neat, is that he tracked the bear down several days later, ultimately killing it on the west shoulder of Ben Lomond peak just north of Ogden, UT. It was papered by the local news agency, and they had the bear stuffed. At the time, it was the largest state example of its kind, and had attacked and killed someone else the year before. (Don't quote me, but I think it held the size record locally for something like 30 years. A sporting goods/general store then bought it, and there it sat for 50+ years in North Ogden.)

Chris

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Re: Andy & Skinner Sights, I could not agree with you more. Ordered my third set of Black Gold Express sights Sunday night around 11:00pm and I received USPS notice that the order was shipped by 1:00pm on Monday afternoon. Every time I have a question regarding the sights, I can get Andy on the phone to answer any concerns. Highly recommend Skinner Sights for any member looking for a peep sight for their set up.

Just my .02

·
Registered
338 Posts
I concur Chris. Re: the bear story, it sounded good & don't worry about dotting the Is & cross'in the Ts (I love to write stories & I never let the facts get in the way of a good story-& I don't fish).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I concur Chris. Re: the bear story, it sounded good & don't worry about dotting the Is & cross'in the Ts (I love to write stories & I never let the facts get in the way of a good story-& I don't fish).
*bops SideSwipe on the head*

Ok ok....My honor has been challenged! *grin* Proof is in the pudding as they say. Pictures must satisfy....I am however, not going up to the attic and fishing through the geneology boxes for the article and picture of the bear. That you can do for yourself Sidewinder! *wink*

IMG-20120604-00158.jpg

IMG-20120604-00159.jpg

BTW...those metal butt plates will kick the crap outta your shoulder! =)

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
*bops SideSwipe on the head*

Ok ok....My honor has been challenged! *grin* Proof is in the pudding as they say. Pictures must satisfy....I am however, not going up to the attic and fishing through the geneology boxes for the article and picture of the bear. That you can do for yourself Sidewinder! *wink*

View attachment 30124

View attachment 30125

BTW...those metal butt plates will kick the crap outta your shoulder! =) Chris
I dont blame you for not wantin to go up to the attic for the paper, besides your achin shoulder, ya might "stub yer toe" up there!!! LOL :biggrin:

Thanks for the story, and the pic of your toe, er i mean Rifle :biggrin: :ahhhhh:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont blame you for not wantin to go up to the attic for the paper, besides your achin shoulder, ya might "stub yer toe" up there!!! LOL :biggrin:

Thanks for the story, and the pic of your toe, er i mean Rifle :biggrin: :ahhhhh:

BloodGroove4570
*laugh* Darn it! I missed that! =) Too funny....I'm gonna leave it.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
:congrats: :tee: Im sorry i couldnt resist, especially seein how you said you wasnt goin to the attic {you know how some attics bring out the fear in some} and i laughed when i saw tat and figured "that" was your fear :marchmellow: :biggrin: hahaha

BG4570

all in good fun, see your liking this place already aint'ya :flute: :biggrin:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the report Chris. Been thinking of putting Sinner sights on my 1895G. I'll be putting in my order this week.

Steve

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I put my 1895G together I did not use the Skinner Sights, and I now regret it. I used a Williams rear peep (less $$$) that worked great until I got it into the field this year. I ended up bending it. I do not know how I did it. It still works but I was worried about it for the rest of the season. I will be replacing it with a Skinner this summer. I also think the Skinners are better than the XS, because they can use different sized rear apertures. With the XS you are stuck with a ghost ring. Great to hear about the customer service at Skinner.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had a similar good experience with Andy at Skinner's with my first order. I found out I needed a longer sight stem for the rear aperture. Emailed Andy and ask if he still had my billing information. Never heard back, but received the stem within a few days. He has got all of my business, for sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I brought Skinner site in 2008 for my Marlin 444 but my original focus was too small I was renvoiyer frais.et no more Well I can tell you that it is not in France have can see this very good servic clientelle and thank you MR SKINNER

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:congrats: :tee: Im sorry i couldnt resist, especially seein how you said you wasnt goin to the attic {you know how some attics bring out the fear in some} and i laughed when i saw tat and figured "that" was your fear :marchmellow: :biggrin: hahaha

BG4570

all in good fun, see your liking this place already aint'ya :flute: :biggrin:

Why yes BG.....I am! My kind of people from what I can tell. (That should scare you all btw......) =D

Glad to hear it BB. You won't be disappointed trust me....and if for some blue moon reason you are, he will take it back! No questions asked. Can't ask for better than that.

Just make sure you read his information on front sights thoroughly, use his formulas, and test before placing an order for the front sight if you want/need it.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts