Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone!
I believe Dr. Skinner occasionally makes, or at least I've seen photos of an adjustable peep sight that he made, that sits on top of the receiver. He communicated to me some time ago that he was working on some, but I never heard back from him. Does anyone out there have one? Does it work well? Does it work as well as a Marbles tang sight? Is the closer distance to the front sight more desirable?

·
Registered
622 Posts
The closer the rear sight is to your eye and the farther it is from the front site the better. with your eye right on the rear sight, I mean like eyelashes hitting it a peep is a remarkably fast and accurate sight. with a little practice you can get to a point that at plinkg ranges you stop noticing the rear and simple put the front sight on the target. The ability to do this lessens as the rear sight gets farther from your eye.

In theory moving the rear sight back also gives you a longer site radius which improves you ability to hold the rifle on target. In practice the extra inch or so going from the reciever of a 1894 to the tang may not really mean much, but haveing that sigh right onyour eye is a big help for quick shooting.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GYRHED,

Thanks for the response.
That's the way it struck me. So maybe I'm going to get the Marble tang for my, almost in my hands, 94 Cowboy 24" barrel .357. I've got 6 more days for Cal. DOJ wait, just enough time to order a sight. Do you use one? Have you seen the Skinner one I'm talking about?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts