Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a question ? I am about to cut down to 16 1/2 inch, a 1977 made 3030 model 336, the sights that are on the riffle are slanted to one side both front and back they work but I have wanted a shorter barreled 336 for a while now and this is the gun I want to cut down. My ? is what height front sight should I get for it, Skinner sights has one for the guide gun as a set, I'm thinkin the .500 and file it down if need be ?? has anyone gone this way and have any advice? I will be getting a dove tail cutting jig to cut a slot for the sight.

Darrel

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You have the right plan!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Starting like that from a cut down "blank" barrel, you could probably go either way...dovetail cut or attach a ramp set up with what ever peep you have on the rear. I just like the looks of the Marlin front sight ramp more then I do the dovetails, but it's all personal preference.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Cuts hurt... sounds like you are on the right track... check out the gunsmithing section..Swany has a good tutorial on cutting the dovetail without the jig.. you'll have a couple of inches of barrel to practice with.. it is pretty straight forward, it made a safe triangular file by smoothing one edge.. an edge cutting file and a couple hose clamps as guides... took a bit of time, but wouldn't hesitate go the same rout again... but then again, I rather enjoy doing things with simple tools... just somrthing to consider...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like the idea of a dovetail front sight over the ramp. To me you get a lot better sight picture with a peep sight in combination with the dovetailed front sight. I'd like to see it when you get done!

·
Registered
673 Posts
One thing to note: I had a 24 inch barrel on my 1895 XLR cut to 18.5 inches. In this case I had the barrel recrowned and the front sight replaced by Grizzly. The barrel was a lot thicker at 16.5 than it was at 24 inches. It made the front sight a lot higher. I tried to use a Skinner Express rear sight and had to use a peep with the extra long shaft to get the thing to shoot high enough. It stood so tall and was unsuported. Looked bad and was vulnerable to snagging. I used the original front sight which was a very short bead. I really like Skinner sights, but had to remove this one. Went to the Williams Ace-in-the-Hole.

Cutting a dovetail for the front would have been another option, but was something I did not want to deal with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank's for all the reply's ! its nice to know I may have thought this out well :) it don't always go that way ! I think the Skinner Guide sets the way to go for me, I have a 336 35 rem that can benefit from the old sights from the 3030. The Marauder threads have given me the inspiration to go ahead with this, I like the striate stock style! but the shorter pistol grip is what I am going to do with this one, I just really like the feel of that design.

I really dig the look of the dovetailed front sight , I was just unsure of what height to go with, but the Skinner sights are made to be adjusted with a file :) I can do pics of the whole thing to.

Darrel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts