Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, couldn't be happier with the fit and finish on my Skinner as well as fast shipping and delivery. Looks great too. Pic attached.

I just ordered the standard rear sight for my 39 (24 inch barrel) hoping to get away without a front sight change. I'm surprised that rather than shooting high, I'm shooting low (even with the rear aperture stem backed all the way out).

I'm shooting 3-4 inches low at 50 yards by my rough estimates, not accounting for any kind of bullet drop (almost a foot low at 100 yards). My current front site is .3125 inches high - stock marlin front sight.

Should I go for the taller aperture and the .400 front sight (and grind it down to .300 or whatever?). Gun shot dead on with stock rear sight. I don't want to have to shim the rear site - and I'm willing to do the work to get it right even if it ain't cheap. This is quality stuff but this will be a spendy upgrade all said and done. Any advice appreciated.

Also my rear sight twists with the lock set screw completely tightened. I understand there is lead shot in there but it's not doing it's job.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I need a substantially shorter front sight than what Skinner offers. Which has me scratching my head. Not sure if my situation is common and yet I don't see how it couldn't be. And yet I've never heard of anyone else with the same issues. All in all an expensive and time consuming expirament to see if I even LIKE these sights to shoot with. I have to get them on the bull first. :)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
On the Williams Sight web sight (possibly Lyman) is a chart, that will give correct height based on where you are hitting, they probably have a front sight that will work.

Reactions: Ocduff

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Call Andy at Skinner Sights I'm sure he can get you going in the right direction.... He's a Great guy to do business with and very helpful....
I'm sure he can help you with both issues....

Skinner's ph#, 1 406 531 5113

Good Luck and let us know how you make out please...
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the sight calculators, even Skinners, are set up for "how much TALLER does my front sight need to be". I will give him a call as work permits later in the week. I'm sure he's busy so I just thought I'd figure out if anyone here had this issue first. Thanks.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Oc, this is puzzling. I would think your skinner set up HAS to be taller than your original rear sight, never shot a 39 though.
don't take this the wrong way, only thing i can think of is your peep sight "picture" is "off" somehow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oc, this is puzzling. I would think your skinner set up HAS to be taller than your original rear sight, never shot a 39 though.
don't take this the wrong way, only thing i can think of is your peep sight "picture" is "off" somehow.
I have two 39s with Skinner peeps on both of them, and this is the same thought I'm having.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could possibly be the case. And point well taken. I think a smaller aperture would help and is on my list of things to order along with a front sight. I have shot peeps before and loved them. I'm dead on center w them.

Also the bead front sight might not be very clear.

That said - the tall semi buckhorn rear sight placed mid notch - draw a line through that from the rear sight center, through the groove in sight, to top of front site. That would have to be one TALL rear sight. And perhaps that's what it is.

As of now, the probability of human error is 15 percent in my own humble estimation. But the fact remains - gun is shooting low. And I can adjust the front bead when shooting to above the middle of the peep - but that feels as unnatural as raising the front bead above the rear buckhorn. So...I'm still going with this being a hardware issue.

Which will leave me with a Skinner front sight ground down to a nub. ;) not exactly a good look. This has been my test gun to try skinners on before equipping other guns with them. I'm really hoping to make them work here

·
Banned
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ok, thanks for considering, i'm at a loss on this one.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Let's try the taller stem. I'm at a loss as to why it's still rotating. Could be its turned up far enough the stem threads are above the lock screw. They lock down very tight. I'd be glad to send a taller stem your way free of charge. We have had reports of about six 39 ' s shooting low. (This is not common at all) A tall stem has cured every one of them.

Your rifle may have some barrel droop. With both sights mounted on the barrel it's not so evident. Moving the rear sight to the receiver reveals the droop.

Shoot me off an email with your address and we will get a stem headed your way.

Hope that helps,

Andy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Andy I will give that a try. Thanks for the great product support. I'll be ordering more sights and associated parts once I get this 39 going.

Will post a range report when done.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Parts are in the mail. (Sent yesterday) I also cut one of our front sights down to factory height and sent it along. You should be up and running in no time.

Thanks again,

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts