Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Parson, I am relatively new to marlinitis but have my first marlin, a 336 30-30. I do most of my hunting in georgia, (used scoped Tikka 7mm rem mag). I love the old west type of rifle and do not really like the look of a scope on a lever, also screws up the balance of the rifle. In the last five years in georgia my furthest shot has been about 150 yards, although some areas, if a buck presented itself in the open (ya right) you could have a longer shot. I guess my question to you is, lets say your a good shooter, good eyesight, whats about the furthest you could effectivly use a peep sight while hunting deer before it is ineffective. Thanks for your help.

Ozzie
South Florida

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Given good sight with a good peep and being a good shooter with ranges in your neck of the woods, I'd say the caliber was more of the limiting factor. In other words the peep should not limit you at all up to about 150 yards or even a bit more.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I agree that the caliber is the biggest limiting factor. You need to know the trajectory of your cartridge and be able to judge the range.

·
Registered
671 Posts
With enough practice, the right size aperture, and the right caliber you can shoot a long ways. In the early 1900's competitions were held shooting out to 800yds using tang mounted peep sights with big bore single shot rifles.
Skinner offers apeertures in different sizes so it is up to you really. I think that with a llot of practice you can shoot that 30/30 out to 300yds if you have good enough vision. As for myself, I'm half blind so it's a little more difficult.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maximum point blank range for a 30-30 shooting flat or round nose commercial ammunition is going to be somewhere around 175 yards. If your eyes are good enough to positively identify a buck at that range, you should have no problem hitting it with an aperature sight; if you can't, it's almost certainly not the sight's fault.
Now, if you have an adjustable sight like the williams with target knobs, and your someone who can get in a lot of range time at varying ranges, and you have enough field esperience to accurately estimate distance, and you keep good enough records to know how much to adjust the scope for that range (that is alot of ands, isn't it), you can hit from much farther away than that. You would still need to consider bullet performance on your game at that impact velocity.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
M16A1, good eyes, 250M and 300M hits... Eyes aren't that good these days. But I wouldn't pass up a 150 yd shot today.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Know your range and your rifle and with good eye's you will be fine at close to far hunting ranges. The only real draw back is limitations due to low light in the early mornings and evenings which is where a scope becomes more useful and unfortunately these two times are when game are the most active.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts