Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im wanting to get my dad setup with a peep sight hes struggling a bit with the factory buck horn. I've read that the regular skinner peep may need a higher front so I was thinking i may just buy the guide gun set from skinner, my question is for the guys who have them how do you like them and can they be pretty accurate because he is not gonna scope his guide gun like i decided to.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
gman82001 said:
my question is for the guys who have them how do you like them and can they be pretty accurate
I have several Skinner peep sets...What is your definition of "pretty accurate"??

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty capable out to 150yds i guess i know its pretty much the operator but i guess the question should be more or less Is the guide gun set a good choice for shooting out to 150yds or should i look at a different setup for him. I kinda already see my xs sight is more for the 75 max range and I want it to be a suprise thats why im thinking full set rather tha a ppep now and then having to figure out which front later on.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Yea, it a tough question… :)
For shooting at 150yds, I’d want the Skinner front blade as it’s more accurate than the factory bead…

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
With my handloads, I could manage 1.5 inch groups at 150 yards with skinner sights on my 1895G. For 'real life' hunting, shooting they are plenty accurate for me.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey sea bass are yours the full Guide Gun set or a rear peep and a specific front

·
Registered
309 Posts
The skinner sights don't have a "bead or dot" marked on the blade do they? you just put the top of the blade in center of the peep? I haven't ever used peeps before but like the idea for my guide gun.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Skinner does offer a 'sourdough' front sight that has a brass line in the top. It is similar to the XS front sight that has a white line. To answer your question, yes you center the top of the post in the ghost ring/peep. Your eyes will automatically do this for you. Here is a picture I took using a guidegun setup with XS sights. When you look through it the rear sight becomes blurry (thus the 'ghost ring' name) and you focus on the target and your front post.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here is another shot with the post against a darker background so you can see it a little better.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I couldn't even see a target, let alone hit it at 150 yards with a peep sight. How old is your dad? If he's into his 50's and above, it's time to drop the iron sights and get a good scope. I have a lot of deer in my backyard and in the field behind my house, and I take my 336 with a peep sight out on the patio and sight in on the deer just to see what I think would be a reasonable range for me to shoot one with a peep sight. I wouldn't even attempt anything over 65 yards, and that is in an open field. I'd say in the woods I'd have to limit myself to under 50 yards, probably more like 35 -40 yards.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hawlg That is probably the best advice yet , BUT just like everybody elses dad I sure aint gonna be the one to tell him to give it up ;D Im sure he pretty much knows the open sights and peep are a young mans game but He is dead set on not scoping it yet so i wanna make it a little more user friendly on him then once he realizes it we can go a different route but, The kid cant be right so we gotta go try a few different thing first

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
A wise man once said – A pic is worth a thousand words, so here ya go. :)

My new to me 444P went to the range today… That is the same config as a GG – maybe call it a mini-me GG.
A new Skinner peep, thanks Andy and the postal match…And using the factory front bead…
I’m guessing that these were the first cast bullets to go down its pipe…

Certainly nothing to brag about – but it does give me a starting point for load work, once the weather warms up…And it will give you and idea of what peeps are capable off…
All shot from the bench using a front bag only for rest…

Yea I know, that bottom target was only shot at 2/3 of your desired range – but we don’t have a 150yd target backer, and I didn’t feel like walking to the 200 & back…

ps – will you guys be cool 8) and not tell my eyes that they’ll soon turn 59 … ::) :D :D

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rowdy I really like that skinner on there maybe well just start like that and if he needs a new front then worry about it. Is that just the normal skinner or a low style

·
Registered
40 Posts
The price of admission isn't that bad so try the peep sights. If they do not work for him, he can still go to a scope and you can resell the peep sights. Many older people can still see well far away but its the up close stuff where we need cheaters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - can I just use the current front bead and add a peep on the reciever? I think I will try this and go from there.

then as well I may add a scope but want at least a good set of sights that I can use, lets say during a hunt and something happens to the scope and it gets removed - i can still shoot well with the peeps. just have never used them before.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Rowdy that skinner peep looks really good on that 444P, which model is that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts