Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using either the smallest diameter fire sights or the smallest white bead. For targets at 100 yards plus they seem to give me the best accuracy and do not cover much of the target.

How do you guys shoot the partridge type sights that are so wide? Ive been putting my bead in the center of the anticipated target. Do you position the blades so that they are just below the target?

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
With iron sights I use a 6 o'clock Navy hold. Zero impact at the top edge of the front sight. On a deer, you obviously have to hold center of mass...

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
I like the post as opposed to a "bead" because it doesn't cover the impact point on the target. A bead works "ok" and I have some on a few rifles but even my 1/16 Ivory (my fav) seems to cover more of the target than I'd like at longer ranges. The AR15 posts that I've measured were .060" (approx) wide and our Skinner Front Sight standard width is .050" ( http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html )

For long range shooting we have chosen a custom width of .040" which I personally found adequate to make precise aiming possible at longer ranges.

Six Oclock hold, impact at the top of the post....

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I order the .040 front blade?

When do you think you will offer the white vertical stripe on the front blade? Should make for even better target acquiring. I could paint my own stripe if you could channel a vertical slot in the back of the blade. Maybe not bother with the horizontal texture.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Joe,

Sure, you can order a .040" front blade. They are a bit thin, but really do give an excellent aiming point.

I dont think we can mill a vertical groove in a narrow blade. IF we make such a sight the width will probably start around .070" Getting that lil grove exactly in the center is a tough process... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts