Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating between a 10/22 Skinner Express or a Low-Pro for a Ruger 10/22. Any opinions on either? Did you need to install a new front sight?

Thanks for your time,
John

·
Vendor
1,946 Posts
Hello John,

Personally, I like the EXPRESS. Front sight height often needs to be changed with any receiver mounted sight on the 10/22. The LoPro is somewhat shorter so you may be able to use it with the factory front sight but there is a potential for any rifle to be slightly different from the next so.... No promises.

Front sights are not that difficult to work with. Please read the Sticky at the top of the Skinner Sight Forum titled, "Will the Skinner Sight work with my Factory Front sight"

Hope that helps,

ANDY

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, Andy.

Do you happen to know which way one should remove a Ruger front sight? Left to Right like a Marlin or the other way? I've tapped on it a little but it didn't budge.

John

·
Vendor
1,946 Posts
Left to right. Hold it tight in a lightly padded vise and use a solid brass punch. Good careful but firm taps with the mallet or hammer. I've never had one that was too stubborn when approached in that way.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone here used the 10/22 Express sight? If so, can you tell me what height you had to use on our 10/22 to sight it in @ 50 yds?

The 'shoot & see' height for my rifle came out to 0.62". (with the existing .50" front sight and 21" sight radius, it was shooting ~10" high at 50 yds)

This seems a little on the tall side, so is my 10/22 a problem child?

Does anyone know where I can get a 0.65" tall by 0.34" wide front sight. The tallest 0.34" wide front sight i've found is 0.57"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, John

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx, Andy. Email sent.

·
Vendor
1,946 Posts
I thought we had that send out to you, (Did get an email) will check tomorrow. If you don't hear from me by Tues, please resend the email. Things are VERY busy at the sight shop, special items and anything custom is getting pushed back a bit. (Yours wont take too long to get out to you.)

Andy

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy,
I'll order a sight off your website and include a note requesting it be shaved down to .34. Thx for the offer for this request. I realize you're super busy and taking individual requests takes time.

BTW, I ended up having to cut the factory front sight out of the front dovetail. Ruger had manufactured a small 'dent' into the bottom of the dovetail slot on the barrel, and the sight itself had a corresponding 'dimple' raised off the bottom of the dovetail. It musts have been pressed on. the result was that my little Lyman hammer wouldn't budge the front sight ( maybe a 24 oz. framing hammer was necessary?) Anyway, a hacksaw did the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.