Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new-to-me 444P and I'm considering installing a Skinner sight.

For anyone with a 444P that has mounted a Skinner, 1) which model did you go with and 2) did you have to change to a higher front sight?

I read that Marlins tend to need a higher front sight when changing to an aperture sight. I also read that the Skinner Express sits 0.062" lower than the Standard Skinner or the Alaskan. If this is correct, assuming a sight radius of 22" on a 444P, if my math is right, an Skinner Express sight would provide about 10" lower impact at 100 yards (if leaving the front sight the same height) compared to the Standard or Alaskan.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I put an Alaskan on mine with a Skinner Bear Proof front sight. I like it a lot but I want to change my rear to the Skinner with integral base so I can run an optic in QD Talley rings on it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Who puts their brand on that lever Dave?

Reactions: vt4ster

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I had to go ahead and get the Express scope mount ordered so here shortly I'll be able to run both a Skinner rear peep with Bear Buster front post AND my VX3I 1.75-6x32 optic as desired. It's not the least expensive way to address sighting for a levergun but it will be absolutely phenomenal to have the options of a GOOD, SOLID peep and a good solid scope. I'll run the Skinner peeps with their bold and strong front post for brush hunting and stalking wild boars and bears in thickets. I'll run the VX3 in QD Talley's for deer, elk, bear over bait, and pigs over bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts