Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Site Height?

959 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cowboy23* 
#1 ·
I have a Remington 14 35 that is shooting 10" high at 50yds.My front site is .400 and is 18" from the rear site.Rear site is bottomed out.How much higher do I need to go?

#2 ·
You have run out of adjustment range with the present sights. When a fire arm in good condition fires this far away from the point of aim, several things must be checked and ruled out. It is vanishingly unlikely that the rifle came from the factory unable to be zeroed in at 50 yards.

Are the sights on your rifle original to the rifle?
Has either the front or rear sight been altered or substituted?
Are the sights securely attached to the rifle, and not loose?
Does your rifle also shoot this way for other shooters?

Particularly, has the front sight been filed to a lower height, or substituted for a lower sight.

Is the rear sight being used correctly? Is it a full or semi-buckhorn and is the front sight being correctly seated into the notch at the bottom of the buckhorn sight, not at the top, or halfway up the rear sight?

Usually, one of the above is the culprit causing your problem.

Just for the record, to make a rifle shoot lower, move the rear sight down, or raise the front sight. (Said another way, move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move, and in the opposite direction for the front sight.) This works for up-down and also left-right.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Front Sight Height Calculator

Frequently a change in the rear sight of a rifle means a taller or shorter front sight is desired. Determining the desired height is a simple calculation that is explained below.

1.Shoot a group (at least three shots) with the current front sight. This can be done from any known distance. Convert the range to inches. (i.e. 100 yards is 36X100 or 3600 inches)

2.Measure the distance the center of the group is from the desired point of impact in inches.

3.Measure the distance from the front sight to the rear sight in inches. This is called the sight radius.

4.The change in height needed is calculated by multiplying the desired change from step 2 by the sight radius in step 3 and dividing by the range (in inches) that the group was fired at from step 1.

For example:

Let's say our rifle shot 10 inches high at 100 yards and the sight radius of our rifle is 23 inches. We can calculate the amount of change we need in the front sight as follows:

Change = 10 inches X 23 inches = .064 inches or about 1/16 of an inch.
3600 inches

Now to order a front sight the correct height, You measure the height of the front sight on your rifle from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight, add the change calculated above and ask for that height. Use a caliper or micrometer to measure with since you need to have an answer in thousands of an inch.

It is important to note that front sights adjust the opposite direction you want to move the point of impact. In the example above we were shooting high so we needed a taller front sight. If we were shooting low we would want a shorter front sight.

Rear sights adjust in the direction we want the move the point of impact. If we want to move the point of impact to the left we move the rear sight to the left.

#5 ·
In general I setup my Marlins to shoot point of aim at 50 yrds with the rear peep all the way down. This is perfect for hunting and leaves me a lot of elevation up adjustment for longer shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.