Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a real tackdriver of a slug gun from H&R or NEF. It had a cylinder bore barrel with adjustable rifle sights and weighed about 5 pounds. It kicked like a mule but was capable of 4 inch groups at 100 yards ALL DAY LONG. I traded it for the same model in 20 guage and regret losing that gun. Hope to find another some day. Other than the recoil I had no complaints about the gun, but went on a minimalist trip for a while. Came back to the realization that more lead hits harder and is more forgiving.
Anyone else have a good single shot slug gun to brag on?
Huntinbull

G

·
The wife has been using an NEF TrackerII 20 gauge slug gun for several years now in the restricted firearms areas. She opted for the rifled bore, with rifle sights. At 50 yards, off hand(standing) she shoots 2" groups all day long. The 20 has reasonable recoil and the gun is light enough so she has no trouble toting it around all day. We now have 4 others we know who have gotten 12 or 20 gauge NEF's after trying hers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have a 20 guage in the smoothbore model. Ammunition for the rifled barrels is too pricey for me. Especially for the marginal improvement. My smooth bore 20 ga. is very accurate out to 100 yards with plenty of power at that range for deer. I will haunt the gunshows and pawn shops until i find a 12 ga smooth bore.
Huntinbull

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I attempted to shoot slugs out of my Marlin single shot smoothbore and quickly decided to buy a slug gun. The recoil was terrible. I have a 870 Cantilever setup 12 gauge, but am praying that they allow us to hunt with Pistol calibered rifles here soon. I hate slug guns, I just cannot find a place to hunt in the rifle zone in Northern Michigan.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I use both my 20's with slugs, both smooth bore, the single is an old Savage 220D Hammerless and the other is a Sears 101.5380D bolt action, AKA Savage Model 58. Both give decent hunting accuracy out to 50 yards, for the amount of deer hunting I do with shotguns they serve my purpose. The Savage has been around for many years, the Sears I picked up at a garage sale for $40 in 90% condition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 20 gauge ultra slugger that shoots lights out. I love it. I had a encore 20 gauge and the h&r shoots just as good as it did for 1/4 of the price.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Put me down as a single shot slug lover. I use an old Savage single I've had most of my life in some New York counties, some counties are rifle on one side of the road and shotgun on the other, so I play it safe with shotgun.. My little Savage gives good accuracy with Remington slugs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
20 guage rifled barrel

Years ago I bought a 20 guage rifled barrel shot gun. I mounted a inexpensive red dot on it and settled on federal or remington 5/8 copper sabots, sighted in 1" high at 50 yards. I have killed several deer with this combination in Indiana and Ohio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts