Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess this falls under "other Marlins". How many Ballard owners do we have here at MO?
My true love in old Marlin collector/shooter guns are the Ballard single shot rifles!

G

·
Hello Vall.....have been known to dabble in these old ones a bit.....hope yours is still shooting well. Did you get your Ballard re-decapper? Should fit right in with your rifle.

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small world huh? Did you talk to Tom, or see my bid at Ebay? Paid dearly for the Ballard re-decapper, but it's a decent tool, and you know how often they show up! Have already used it on a number of cases.
I do have a question for you. If you've used the Ballard re-de, are you supposed to have some sort of a base that the cartridge sat in, when you decap them? Or just put the case over a block of wood, with a hole in it?
Thought I'd get fancy and turn a small base from a block of wood on my metal lathe, if that's what they used.

G

·
Hi Vall....saw your bid on ebay. You didn't get a bad price. I would have been bidding with you except that I already have one in 38. The larger calibers run even more. And seaters......well, start putting pennies in your piggybank now.....

Checked myself into the Ballard rehab facility and have been "sober" for about 6 months. Saved enough money not buying Ballards to get a real computer and camera, so will send you some pictures of my latest toy when they arrive. It's a Model 1882, 2nd Issue Winchester tool marked "38-55 Ballard". With the decapping pin. Talked to Tom Q. and he hasn't seen one and the Lewis Yearout pamphlet on Winchester tools doesn't have it either. The 1880 tool in 38-55 Ballard is known, but I have to do some more checking on this one. Gonna use it to load for the 38-50 Ballard since it has the adjustable chamber and can go shorter.

I don't believe they had to use a block with the re-decapper since the material used in the old primers was a lot softer and could be removed from the case easier. Just put in the decappng pin and push the primer out by hand, maybe a little tapping. Haven't seen too many that were broken, so I don't think a hammer was used that much then. When I use mine now, I do tap lightly with a leather mallet over a hole in a piece of oak. The wooden base sounds neat.

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you mean about the bullet seaters, but you just don't see them for sale at all, so even if they're a bit high, who's to say what they're worth? It's just what you're willing to pay.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, didn't John Dutcher's Ballard collection go up for auction today? Wonder how the prices went?

G

·
Count me in on the single shot Marlins. I have 4 Ballards in my collection. I also have the Marlin 15Y that is a single shot .22 bolt action if that counts. :)

G

·
Vall...the John Dutcher auction is the middle of April, so you still have time to pull out your life savings and head back east. :)

You're gonna hate this, but 3 seaters in 38-55 have sold on ebay in the last month. Around $300 each if I recall correctly. A lot of $$$ for such a little piece of metal, but don't think you will find them cheaper. At least the 38-55 is the easiest one to find.

Hello "guest".....what kind and caliber are your Ballards?

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right you are Max. Got a month ahead of myself! I'm betting his rifles will go above what they would have, prior to his book being published.
Guest,
Tell us more about your Ballards. I have the following Ballards:
#2 with 30" full octagon barrel, chambered for .32Ballard XL, double set triggers, Ballard vernier rear/globe front sights.
#2 with 30" heavy .38 Long Colt octagon barrel, standard sights.
#3 Gallery, .22LR, 28" full octagon, French proof marks, Shotgun butt, gallery rear/globe front sights.
#4 Perfection, half octagon 34" heavy barrel, .45-70, with long range vernier/globe front sights.
#5 Pacific, with 30" heavy ful octagon .45-70 barrel, double set triggers, Ballard vernier rear/Lyman combo front sights.
Ballard Schoyen Schuetzen rifle, 34" half octagon .38-55 false muzzle barrel, Ballard vernier rear/Lyman 7a front globe sights. Full Schuetzen regalia.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Goodness gracious! I really can't think of the right word to describe that photo. "Exotic" comes to mind, but really gives it no justice. I must admit, I would love to take a peek in Marlinman's gun safe!

Excuse me of my ignorance, but are these old Ballards smokeless or blackpowder cartridges?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Leverpuller. Old Schoyen knew how to build a Schuetzen rifle. It weighs about 16 lbs., but balances so well that it doesn't feel that heavy when it's shouldered. I used this rifle last fall to take my deer. Of course I took the palm rest off, and swapped stocks with the shotgun butt stock from my #3 Ballard Gallery gun. This is what it looked like, set up for deer hunting, sans the sights, and Swiss buttplate, palm rest.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hey MM nothing as fancy as those you have, but I picked up another No. 2 today at the gunshow, this one is in 44-40. Wood is good, plain sights but I was looking at some tang sights. That makes 4. Now I have to find a proper barrel for that other No. 2 and put it back to an original chambering. Do you know if there is anything I need to watch out for in finding a barrel other than condition?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Sure Shot

You might consider having the barrel resleeved. Congratulations on your new find. Parley

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Thanks Parley. Whoever put the resleaved barrel on it put a round barrel rather than an octagon. So I thought a rebarrel if I can find one might be best. But then it was fun to shoot with some low powered 218 Bee's as well.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Sure Shot

The one I have was rechambered and bored to 45-70. A hand grenade if there ever was one. Brownells sells the Wind River rifle barrels that look to be very close dimensionally to the Ballard. Like I said I'am considering a rebarrel to the .44-40 caliber and using the Wind River barrel. Parley

G

·
Congratulations Sure-shot on your "new" 44W. Sounds like you are another Ballard "lost cause", rehab for sure in the distant future.

You might find it interesting to know that Marlin made a fine reloading tool in 44W also and since they discontinued these reloading tools before or about the same timeframe as the beginning of the Marlin 1888, these tools were made for the Ballard rifles (and other maker leverguns). One just ended on ebay today without selling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5&category=7309&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

They is only the 3rd one I have ever seen for sale and I bought one of the other two.

I also have a #2 in 44W with a 30" heavy barrel. Seems really odd to pick up such a heavy gun and put such a tiny cartridge in it, but it is fun to shoot. Sure eliminates the recoil. Still, it seems like the cartridge should be 3 or 4 times as long.

Good luck with your re-do on your other Ballard. If you return it to original, what caliber?

max

G

·
Thanks I will have to see what he wants for that. I have an ideal reloading tool for 38-40 which I believe is a number 2. But am a novice at the reloading tool collecting.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure Shot,
You are doomed, you've got it bad! :wink: It's only a matter of time until you sell the home, and your truck, converting them both into more Ballards! At least you keep finding them! I keep looking, but just don't find many that aren't way overpriced!
Headed to Reno the end of the month, but I know the Ballards are too high there!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Marlinman, that is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen. :D
I was just wondering what the scope was, as it looks like an old Parker-Hale scope that I used to own a while back.

G

·
Ok Vall....think I can finally post a picture.....this is the Marlin-Ballard
4-1/2 A1 Midrange in 40-65 Ballard Everlasting. My 125 year old "new gun".

max

1 - 20 of 28 Posts