Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No my wife isn't leaving me, unless she finds out I bought another single shot rifle today! Had our Big Bore show at OAC, and a friend brought in a Sharps replica he wanted to sell. It's a Pedersoli, with 36" half octagon, .45-110 barrel, double set triggers, and some inexpensive vernier/globe sights. The gun looks like new, and he siad he needed to sell it because it kicks too much, and the ammo is too expensive. (he doesn't reload!)
He wanted $375, so I now own a Sharps replica. Not into newer guns, but I can't afford an original, so this will have to fill the niche! Or is that itch? Guess I'll have to get busy finding dies and brass, so I can see how much it hurts, both monetarily and literally!
Should be accurate, as the 36" barrel gets it halfway to the target before the triggers are pulled!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
A 36" bbl? Cross sticks time, unless you've got arms like Atlas. Some of my old Mausers have 29" bbls, and are a chore for doing much offhand shooting.

Seems your magnet is working as good as ever- that's a great price for a Pedersoli....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm kinda used to the long barrels, although this one is longer than any I presently own. I have a couple with 32" and 34" barrels, and a number with 30" barrels.
This Sharps is actually lighter than my Winchester Hi Wall in .22 LR with 30" #4 weight barrel!
It just got more interesting too. My friend bought this gun from another guy, and shot it a little, then decided it was too spendy to shoot. Seems the other seller had some custom work done to it. I pulled the buttplate, because I saw a slip of paper just visable from the side. Underneath was a receipt for:
Rechambering from .45-70 to .45-100-$110
Recrowning-$28
Trigger work-$34
Cut barrel to half octagon-$65
Cut rear dovetail and install sight-$60
Reblue barrel-$45
Float forearm-$25
The total adds up to almost what I paid for the gun, so I either got the gun free, or the extra work free! I sure can't imagine why people spend that kind of money on a gun, and then sell it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Brass if you need it.

MM93 I have 40 new sticks Norma 45 basic. I gave 50.00 for it. Can box it and ship it for 50.00 and postage to your house. Thanks for the help on 1881. First trip to range disaapointing as 379 bullets rattle down the oversize bore. Need to have custom mold made unless someone has an old one to part with. I don't mind paying for it. I also lucked into a lever for my 1895 carbine. All I need is a bolt for it. By the way, Brophy's book says all 1895 carbines were marked Special Smokeless Steel and this one is not. Rollmark is right for age. Does he ever make mistakes? Thanks again for all your help. moodyholler

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moodyholler,
Does Bill's book have errors? Yes. Although not a lot, he does have some errors. No way that all 1895 carbines could be marked Smokeless, unless they didn't build carbines until the 1895 was in production for a couple years. With some of the calibers being BP loads, and no smokeless loads available, they'd possibly be the same steel, but not necessarily marked. That may be what Bill meant to say, that they were all made from modern smokeless steel alloy?
I thank you for the brass offer, but have already ordered the .45-2 7/8 Bell brass from Buffalo Arms. It's $28 per 20, and I needed to order some 297-230 Morris Long, so I ordered it all at once to save shipping costs. 20 cases is all I'll need, as I don't plan to do a ton of shooting.
Have you checked Midway for bullets in a larger diameter? They used to carry some .381 bullets, but I haven't ordered since I got my old Ideal mold.

·
Registered
148 Posts
damn.. you just got my dream gun.. :( for a heckava good deal.

Good job!

·
Registered
394 Posts
MM93,
You got quite a deal! I have had my eye on a new Ballard for a few years, but my wallet never allowed it. I have sat and drooled at the photos on their website! The Pedersoli Sharps seems to be a decent rifle, and a good compromise between quality and price. I just sold one in 45-70. I got the rifle for a song, and it even had MVA sights on it! Anyways, I needed something a bit mellower to shoot, so I now have a nice new Uberti HighWall in 38-55. I installed the mid-priced mid-range MVA sights on it, also. I haven't even shot it yet! I have spent the better part of a year recuperating from shoulder and elbow surgeries, so I avoided any time at the range. I grimaced my way through a couple of days of grouse hunting and am now regretting it! Enjoy your new Sharps!

·
Registered
496 Posts
My Marlin 1895 Carbine does not say Special Smokeless Steel on the barrel either. It has a 148XXX serial number. You are lucky to have one as they are on the scarce side. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roundsworth,
My only concern is the possible heavy recoil the .45-110 may have! I plan to load a few with full blackpowder loads, and try them. If they're too stout, I'll try some reduced loads similar to .45-70 loads.
Worst case scenario, I may not shoot it as much as I would my .38-55 Ballard or my favorite .25-21 Stevens Schuetzen rifle. Hard to beat the low recoil of the .25-21S!

G

·
I know exactly what you are talking about :!: The little 1892 Marlin is the most pleasent centerfire I think I've ever loaded for :D I'm almost to the point of collecting and shooting them exclusivly......................NAH what was I thinking but it is one of the funnest guns I've shot in a while :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the .32 Colt is my cup of tea for sure! No recoil, no matter how hot you load it, and great accuracy too.
I'm sure the .45-110 will be just marginally more recoil! :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, just grit your teeth & think of a happy place when you start to put pressure on the trigger! :D It only hurts for a little while!! That's for the 32. I don't even want to think about the 45-110! :shock: You'll have to get 'snake-eyed' like Dustin Hoffman in LITTLE BIG MAN, if you ever saw that. My Italian BPCR kicks enough that I don't know I'd actually enjoy that Sharps repro. Just not as tuff as I used to be! :wink: You should have heard me whine when I was stomping after turks today! Didn't see any, either. I'm leaving at 4 so I can be way the heck & gone back in the buttes when the sun comes up.

Being a 54 year-old mountain goat ain't what it's cracked up to be! :? SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tell me about it! I joined that same club a week ago; remember!? Sure isn't nearly as easy to get up those hills like it was 20 years ago! Hope you get one soon, because I want to hear a good hunting story!
Buffalo Arms says I'll have brass for the .45-110 and the 297-230 Morris by Wednesday! I kinda chuckled to myself when I pictured the order filler putting those two boxes in the same order! He was probably wondering who was shooting ants and elephants!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The order filler probably figured he was dealing with an experienced shooter who was going to shoot the big bore FIRST, and the crow whacker 2nd so as not to get soured on shooting!

I'm taking my Marlin model 24 after turks in the AM. I learned enough Sat that I should be in the middle of 'em come sunup! :D ... In theory... :wink: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fella brought a very nice model 30G into the gun show Sunday. Too bad it wasn't for sale, as it was about 90% condition! The stocks were even better than the metal! A very nicely kept old shotgun, which he said he bought from an oldtimer recently for $175. He's planning to use it for dove and quail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts