Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Has anyone ever totted a single action for self-defense? I have for years off and on. Back in the 70's I almost had to use a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag. I felt quite confident with it then and I feel confident now with any of my single actions...

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Air gun

This is the most accurate single action I have ever had. It is my new model Lipseys Ruger flattop 44sp. I would trust it any old time. You see shootouts where they empty the autos at each other, one hit with a nice fat lead boolit from this thing and it would be all over...

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
A single action wouldn't be my first choice due to how long it would take me to reload it but I wouldn't feel disadvantaged if I got caught in a situation where I had to use one to defend myself. I can shoot my Blackhawk as well as any handgun I own and 255gr RNFP would certainly handle any 2 legged varmint.

Stu

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Short of expecting a rumble in the concrete jungle... yes, I bought a 44 mag single.... as a kid my thoughts were bear medicine while back packing.
I have a double action 45 and 357 mag... I never been in a situation... so bought the time I draw the hammer is back.
The 357 goes most everywhere I go... but if I thought I was looking for trouble I would be packing my 40 XDM.

If someone would donate a pallet of ammo... I would practice up with my single actions :proud:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have carried a number of 44 single actions. When around water in FL, there is always the possibility of gators. Had a Uberti 44 Magnum with 4⅝" barrel that was comfortable in an IWB holster. It rode with me a lot of times. Also used a few Super Blackhawks and Lipsey's 44 Special Rugers. Used Elmer's load in the 44 Specials.

Never felt uncomfortable carrying a revolver. Only hits count. Learn to make them count.

Of course, you want to match your ammo to the circumstances. For self-defense against two legged varmints, I favor the 200 gr Gold Dot HP loads from Speer in 44 Special and Short Barrel 44 Magnum.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had a local leather shop make me a high ride modified pancake holster for my NMBH 45 Colt so I could wear it in the cooler months. Most vests and jackets cover it nicely and it is very comforting to know it is there. I have several of the smaller semi autos, but they lack character.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have carried a 44 mag as a trail gun but not everyday carry...just too big to wear all the time (938 Sig fits that role). But as a trail gun a 3 to 4 inch 44 special is what I would prefer...like your flattop or (oh no, going to the dark side) a GP100...that 44 special looks really nice.
RT4

·
Registered
531 Posts
DA or semi-auto for my town carry guns. I like carrying my Charter Arms Bull Dog with 200 gr. .44 Special Gold Dots or could be now my new Springfield XD-E in .45 ACP.
I have though carried my husky Ruger Alaskan .45 in an ISWB holster under a sweat shirt.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel
Everyday carry Tool Airsoft gun Air gun
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

Old Vaquero .45 colt 4 5/8". Sweet shooter from Gary Reeder. Shoots as good as she looks.
Coonan .357 mag 5". Because you can have both single action and auto in my favorite personal protection cartridge.
Glock 19X 9mm, 4". Only non Amaerican firearm I own.
Dan Wesson 15-2 pistol pack .357 mag (shown with 2 1/2" barrel) It has a 4 lb trigger on double action totally custom by me. It now wears a Ruger one hole peep rear sight and a EWK arms green fiber front sight. SWEET double action.
They all carry under a duster pilgrim. LOL

Attachments

Reactions: bassetman1974
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.