Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.I've always shot jacketed looking to shoot some cast. Can I buy them presized and would I run the same diameter as jacketed. The barrel slugging us French to me and I don't really understand how to. I would eventually like to start casting my own

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can buy them presized.
You need bigger boolits than jacketed bullets. You need the Boolit to be about 0.002 inches larger than the bore of the gun to ensure that no gas can get around it. Otherwise, the lead will melt and stick to the barrel. With slugging, you push a lead slug down the barrel and measure it to see what your actual bore size is. You also want to see if there are any tight spots in side that might squeeze down your boolit and then let the gas get past it when the barrel widens up again. Get a slugging kit from Beartooth boolits and then buy some boolits for reloading.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how exactly do i slug it though?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Let's keep this simple. usually a 30 caliber cast bullet sized .310" will shoot just fine. I size all my cast .30 cal. bullets to .310 and they shot great in my 30-30s, a Marlin 336 with Micro-groove barrel and a Winchester m94, two M64s and a rather rare M54. They even shoot goot in a 14" T/C Contender. Look for a bullet like the Lyman #311291, a somewhat bluff round nose bullet. When you get some, stick the noze into the muzzle of the rifle. If it's a hait too big to where you have to push a bit that's OK. If is slides in snugly, that's good. If it's a loose sloppy fit accuracy with most likely be lousy. There is a good chance it will slightly more loose in the Marlin due to the shallower type of rifling unless you have a gun with the Ballard style rifling. If your gun will allow it, seat the bullet so it slightly engages the rifling. You don't want to jam it way the hell and gone into the rifling, but just enough so the bullet is centered into the barrel which will keep things a straight as possible. The more things are aligned, the more accurate the load will be.
Oh yes, before I forget. Clean that barrel as good as possible. You should try and get out every bit of copper fouling possible. It'll take a few shots from the ultra-clean barrel to foul it properly for good cast bullet results.
Paul B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts