Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I wish they still made the old Silvertip. I don't know if the bullet jackets were the same between the power point and the silvertip, but if they were, then it was basically a power point bullet with an aluminum nose cap. My understanding of the silvertip concept was that it delayed expansion which provided deeper penetration on heavier game. I think I read something about this on one of Winchester's ammo brochures many years ago, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Quite a few years back a Super K-mart was closing it's doors and had a liquidation sale. My late wife wanted to check it out so I reluctantly went. I decided to check out the sporting good section Took what was left of their .308s at $5.00 a box and the last two 30-06 at $6.00 a box. IIRC, there was five boxes of the .308s but they've all been shot for the brass as was the 30-06and made out like a bandit. The 30-30 ammo was all Winchester 170 gr. Power Points and I bought all 24 boxes at $4.00 a box. Shot on box to get the brass for my cast bullet pleasure.

Biggest and bestest ammo score ever? Twelve boxes of .416 Rigby factory ammo for $40.00 a box, six softs and six solids. Sticker price on the boxes was $215.95. OUCH! Still, that is just about a lifetime supply. One does not plink with the .416 Rigby.
Paul B.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
What's the difference between silvertips and ballistic silvertips made by Nosler and then Lubalox coated by Winchester?

Made up a batch years ago for my 336XLR liked the grouping but didn't like cleaning the lube out of the barrel, so I went with the FTX instead.
The other week I wanted to get some range time but didn't want to use my main loads so I brought these to shoot off out of my 336C. Turned out they shot as well out of the C as it did the XLR. Ended up loading up the 2 1/2 boxes I had left, in front of some Varget,
Drinkware Barware Cylinder Gas Salt and pepper shakers

Need to get me more of these.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
What's the difference between silvertips and ballistic silvertips made by Nosler and then Lubalox coated by Winchester?

Made up a batch years ago for my 336XLR liked the grouping but didn't like cleaning the lube out of the barrel, so I went with the FTX instead.
The other week I wanted to get some range time but didn't want to use my main loads so I brought these to shoot off out of my 336C. Turned out they shot as well out of the C as it did the XLR. Ended up loading up the 2 1/2 boxes I had left, in front of some Varget,
View attachment 885793
Need to get me more of these.
A friend of mine uses those on whitetail regularly. He handloads them and tells me that he's getting good accuracy and great performance on deer.

"Enhanced by Winchester’s Lubalox® black oxide coating process, the Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip® Hunting Bullet features Nosler’s Ballistic Tip® technology for accuracy, penetration and controlled expansion while reducing fouling and extending barrel life. Lubalox® is a very thin oxide bullet coating that not only reduces pressure and friction between bullet and bore, but also protects the surface of the bullet jacket. The aerodynamic polymer Silvertip® initiates rapid and uniform expansion of the bullet upon impact while the fully-tapered jacket provides maximum energy transfer and optimum weight retention at all practical velocities. Equipped with a heavily jacketed base that acts as a platform for large-diameter mushrooms and a boat-tail design that enhances long-range accuracy, the Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip® is a favorable design for reloaders wanting to shoot more, clean less. "

The good ol' Winchester Silvertip is a completely different bullet, but not a bad one. Dad used to keep a box of 220 grain 30-06 Winchester Silvertips around - I guess in case a grizzly showed up in town. LOL! :)

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Several years back an old friend of mine told me that the old Silvertips actually had a zinc tip, this the silver color. I figured that he knew what he was talking about because at the time he ran the Zinc Plant here in town 👍

Reactions: utvolsfan77

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I started hunting around 1973 Silvertips were the preferred round in guns like .30-30's and Savage .300's, while Remington CoreLokts seemed to be the ones with the best reputation in more powerful calibers, especially ones that shot spitzer bullets. Silvertips also had a good reputation in hollow point form for self defense use in auto loading pistols.

Bullet technology has come light years ahead since then, but boxes of vintage Silvertip rifle ammo is worth a pretty penny when you see it on gun show tables or at auctions. The days of finding an old box of .30-30 or .32 Win Special Silvertips for $10 at a gun show went the way of brick sized cell phones.

People are asking $80-$90 a box for the vintage Silvertips and I'll bet the users aren't just buying them for collecting but for their once mystical killing power and maybe a little nostalgia when hunting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is state of the art ammo for the time period..that load is preferred for bear and larger deer...I sold alot if it but kept 4 newer boxes for me of the 30-30 ammo both 150 and 170 gr....less fragmentation over regular soft points and deeper penetration...those that use them swear by them..not at them...I'd keep them somewhere stored in a dry cool environment...it's a vintage round for a vintage gun...

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is really a three piece bullet, soft aluminum nose cap, gilding metal base, lead core. The idea is the soft aluminum cap protects that large section of lead core during handling, but gives way fast when fired and hits something, supposed to be a fast large expander.

I do remember that in the advertisements in 1960s/70s. I used them in a .35 Remington Model 141. After a season of loading and unloading the big 200 grain round nose bullets were flat tips. Even though I never saw a decrease in accuracy during sight-in or at practice, I would always load the last round directly into the chamber with a new cartridge. Just in case... ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is really a three piece bullet, soft aluminum nose cap, gilding metal base, lead core. The idea is the soft aluminum cap protects that large section of lead core during handling, but gives way fast when fired and hits something, supposed to be a fast large expander.
Looking at what is written on the boxes in the photos, it's not aluminum but a mix of copper, nickel and zinc....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I found 8 rounds of a silver tipped bullet. Old I’m assuming but look nice and shiny. So the question is. Should I save these for hunting or are they no different than any other round
I have some for various rifles, they are good to go if you need 'um. I don't plink with anything but .22's myself. I fire a round before hunting season just to assure myself of my zero...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts