Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Silver tips in bottom Remington box. Hollow points in box to left!
View attachment 885653
I've got a box of 30-30 reloads in a box just like your silver tip box. I remember my dad using silver tips in the mid 70s.
Brings back memories. (y) (y)

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a couple of boxes of silvertips that I picked up off an estate sale. They aren't as old as the other other examples here though as they're in the silver Winchester boxes.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
It is really a three piece bullet, soft aluminum nose cap, gilding metal base, lead core. The idea is the soft aluminum cap protects that large section of lead core during handling, but gives way fast when fired and hits something, supposed to be a fast large expander.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My first big game hunt for wild pigs was my Senior year of high school 1973. My Dad took me out of school for 3 days and we drove from Ohio to thr Cumberland Mtns of Tennessee. We hunted at a private Boar Hunting Lodge, named Parched Corn Creek Lodge. I had a new Marlin 30-30 with iron sights. And shot my first pig on the second morning with 170gr Winchester Silver Tips. It was a standing shot at about 50 yds in large open hardwoods on a slope. The round hit the pig broadside square in the shoulders...and passed thru. The pig ran about 30 yds downhill and stopped when he crashed head-on..into a big oak tree trunk. I was a bloodied Big Game Hunter.... I Love Silvertips

1 - 20 of 42 Posts