Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if there is a special "kind" of J.B. weld, or solder I would need (as mentioned in a previous post) to free float a barrel. Is there anyone with a step by step pic, or process that I could use as a reference?.... Thanks

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
First thing get JB Weld and stay away from it's faster setting product JB Quick.

Locate the tube with a small gap between the bbl and tube and JB Weld it in place where the bbl is grooved for clearence.

Either way with silver solder or JB Weld you need heat to remove the tube the JB Weld is easier to do.

This works much better with half or 2/3 length mag tubes and dovetailed tubes vs the bbl banded guns. bbl banded guns the front one needs the bottom machined larger so the mag tube is free floated in it. Full length tubes the dovetail needs to be machined smaller so it is a slip fit aka loose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you say "either way, I will need heat", what am I heating up with the JB weild?... Also I do have the barrel band version, (close to the front sight, and at the end of the fore grip)....

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
jordankaden said:
you say "either way, I will need heat", what am I heating up with the JB weild?... Also I do have the barrel band version, (close to the front sight, and at the end of the fore grip)....
Heat would be needed to unfasten either. Sorry.

The idea here is to get the bbl from affecting the mag tube and vis versa, the band only holds the forend on not the mag tube in the rear. The front one you will machine the band so the tube floats in it and don't hold it as it's not needed when you have welded the back to the bbl. The band is kept in place for cosmetics and a protector for the mag tube.

When the bbl heats up and that front band don't hold it back it is more stable, when the bbl vibrates through normal harmonics of the cartridge going off the harmonics are more stable without banging against something holding it down.

Lot of guns benifit from this even if you glue the fore stock for a couple of inches of the bbl and action and let the tube float in the fore stock. You can then loosen the fore ends bbl band or even remove it if you feel you can do without it.

Lot of ideas but number one on the bedding is the buttstocks tang and the mating area to the action this eliminates side to side problems with accuracy. The trigger job is another good accuracy enhancement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts