Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an absolutely GREAT day today at our cowboy silhouette match. Incredibly warm for February, around 50 degrees and clear blue sky and very little wind.

Matchwinner shot a 37 out of 40 which is a club record I believe. That is excellent shooting. There were 16 shooters and I tied for 2nd with a 33 and won second place in a shootoff on the 3rd shot.

I used my beloved Marlin 1881 .40-60. Used a Meister 260grain .406 bullet the whole way through on top of 15.0grains of XMP 5744. This is a light load. I used to use a heavier load on the rams but so far I haven't had one that was hit not fall over. Cool thing is my spotter could see the bullets flying through the air and watch the trajectory on the turkeys and the rams. Thats something I have never seen is a bullet flying thru the air other than a tracer!

I was really happy with the way the match went. I had decided to pull the tang sight off and this was the first match I shot with the old Rocky Mtn sights including the german silver front sight.

I had the oldest rifle there in fact I don't think there was any thing else there over 60 years old or so. This was my personal best in this 200 meter match. Makes me love this old rifle even more. Funny thing is, I don't feel handicapped at all using this old Marlin. Right now I have a lot of confidence in this old sweetheart!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry about the double post. Some reason I got kicked off line while I was writing and when I hit the submit button I had to get reconnected and it got submitted twice.

Geoff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts