Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever actualy done a Sten-Gun styled tube or wire stock on a lever action? this is a silly question I know, but I intend to buy a lever and keep the wood on it..however, I want to see what it feels like with such a fabricated wire stock and 1911 grip panels onto it.....as well as Galil or similar style plastic fore grip panels on the front in palce of wood...essentially a very "industrial" looking lever; maybe a post-apocalyptic one? the idea I had for the wire stock is that its essentially a wire version of the Straight/English stock that many Cowboy action guns have; and maybe one could drill/tap it to accept a kydex or thermo-plastic MOLLE panel to accept a medic pouch or something similarly small, but also to carry rounds and a cheek pad to increase comfort; I know; it wont be as sexy as a nicely wood stocked Cowboy lever; but this idea is basically fully swappable between wood and completely synthetic, survivalistic system... also would be pretty interesting if one were to also include a bayonet *yeah yeah yeah completely impractical and proabbly gonna give the Kalifornian Politikans lots of ulcers and hernias lol* ::) or something like that. basically an wartime INDUSTRIAL post-apocalpytic, urbanized lever action with zero wood and in evil black colors with single scout rail; flash hider, MOLLE black admin pouch to hold small items and tiny survival kit, with wire-ish stock (could fabricate out of aluminum bar stock and blast it then anodize it black?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a thread on the Sigforum some time ago about this. A gentleman had modified a spare stock for his Winchester rifle. I don't have it bookmarked or I would post the link. I think it was pretty well executed and certainly served his purpose.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have always thought one like the side folding chinese ak stock with a storage compartment in the back would be great. If it was light aluminum bar you could put about 20 rounds in the compartment.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The big problem with wire stocks is cheek (stock) weld. This sort of stock does not lend itself to shooting with any real precision. However, it would be a great deal easier to transport and carry...assuming that the stock was collapsible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd start with a machined block that accepted the rifle tangs, but ended just behind them (like What ACE gunstocks does for their folders), then figure out the hinge and the stock from there...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Keep in mind the total length requirement. When I was considering making a psuedo-Mares Leg out of my 16" 1894, I was going to need to keep a significant amount of the wood to stay legal.

Ignore the brass tube; it was part of an idea I dropped as soon as I put it on.

·
Banned
252 Posts
So ugly
image.jpg

·
Banned
98 Posts
can probably work out some sort of "snap on' or velcro on cheekpc for a folder or telescoping buttstock, given enough desire. Might not be ambi dextrous, tho, and you have to expose your entire body to shoot right handed around the left side of cover, don't forget.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Love it. Don't know why. As I recall the STEN stock was a flat metal that was rolled into a half circle. The sharp edges go away. Issues that come up are attaching the stock via the tang. Something would have to fabricated. Question. Is there any exposed mechanisms exposed to the light of day when the stock is off? Next, is the cheek weld. I had a Butler Creek folding stock for a Remington 870 that used a steel rod of about 1/2 inch diameter. One round of slug was like a heavyweight contender landing one smack on my cheek. Either the diameter would have to increased (might be the right thing) or fabricate a appropriate cheek piece. Finally, how would the balance be affected with a STEN stock. Don't forget to send pictures!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts