Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that silhouette shoot, what power and make scope do you use?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You use nothing because you have to use iron sights.
They might have a division where they use scopes but you'd need a
600 yard range for that I believe.
All the 200 yard stuff is iron sights only.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Here is a good reference of what you might encounter - - depending on what type of silhouette shooting you want to get involved.

The Steel Target, Rifle Shooting Sport of NRA Rifle Silhouette

Typical long-range center-fire silhouette course is 200 meter chickens, 300 meter pigs, 385 meter turkeys (that one separates the casual from serious shooters), and the 500 meter rams. Course of fire is 40 rounds - - ten on each target at range. Scopes (or iron sights) vary as do rifles and chamberings depending on the class you want to shoot in. Haven't competed at silhouettes in 15 years or so, but a guy at work keeps trying to talk me into it again. Maybe if my eyes were still clear and my off-hand was still strong, I would give it a whirl again, but for now I reckon I'm not much better than a looky-lou.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You use nothing because you have to use iron sights.
They might have a division where they use scopes but you'd need a
600 yard range for that I believe.
All the 200 yard stuff is iron sights only.
That's pretty strange because the rifle club I belong to shoots with scopes and has four different distances, I believe the longest being 77 meters. But the size of the targets are mighty small, I don't think Annie Oakley could hit them with open sights. Could the size of the targets have any bearing on whether you use a scope or not? Are there different rules for different ranges? I know guys from other clubs come to ours to compete. I have never done any silhouette shooting myself but one of the guys that does said he uses anywhere from a 15 to 24 power scope. I was just wondering what other silhouette shooters use. I was shooting pictures for our youth shoot last Saturday and was roaming between 10 different ranges and thought it might be interesting to try my hand at silhouette shooting.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I suspect that target size is proportionately reduced to give a similar sight picture as would be experienced on the longer range courses. We in the midwest would have a really tough time finding a 500 yard range to shoot a traditional course on. I'm guessing that the shorter course is smaller caliber, but judging wind would not be the same. Still a very interesting thought. We can go 200 yards at our range. I wonder where a guy could find down-sized targets to fit in that reduced course size???

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Here is one of the websites which explains a lot.
Metallic Silhouette - Pioneer Sportsmen, Inc.

No scoped rifles for NRA awards. The NRA also has a lot on their website as well.
My wife and I each had to buy a Book for $13 that they record your score in.
I guess they also send the results to the NRA.

Also where it says Pemi that is another club as 3 clubs are involved and you shoot
at full size targets there. So a full size Ram will weigh 50-60 lbs.
It's fun hitting them at 200 yards with a 357 Mag with iron sights!

My guess is that the scopes are not being used for an NRA course.
It's tough enough as it is but the animals sizes are listed.
No idea about the 500 meter courses since almost no club in NH
has a range that long.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there DonB77 -- Both NRA High Power Rifle and Smallbore Rifle silhouette use scope equipped rifles. Here is some information that may help. NRA Silhouette Brochure My preference is a Lyman Super Targetspot (20x) on top of an Anschutz for whacking those mini-silhouettes!

View attachment 104218 View attachment 104220

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Ah, ok, we don't have the scoped games up our way. Just the cowboy lever and
the iron sighted matches.
I guess that's a good thing because I can only afford so much. :biggrin:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here ya go, a link to the NRA rule book.

http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Sil-r/sil-r-book.pdf

Smallbore silhouette and normal highpower silhouette use bolt action rifles and scopes. The various levergun silhouette matches - 22LR, pistol caliber, and big bore, don't use scopes, only iron sights. They all shoot on different scales of targets at different ranges. And that's not to mention the handgun events.

-Nobade

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was incorrect, I just got back from a match and it's pretty confusing.
They do have NRA small bore and NRA Standard Rifle that both use scopes.
They also have High Power Center fire Rifle but we don't have that in
our State.
There are so many that you have to have been doing it for a while to
understand it.

Good news is I got my 5 pin for chickens in NRA Pistol Cartridge Cowboy
and my wife got her 5 pin for pigs in NRA Smallbore Cowboy. Yay!

It's a lot of fun even if the classifications are confusing.

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I suppose it is kinda confusing, especially for people like me who have never been to a match. Probably good thing for me , as I think it would be addictive.
I remember seeing an ad in a shooting magazine that had a lead bullet hitting a steel ram at the exact time of impact with a caption that read" the first time you do THIS , we Gotcha "
BoB

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there BoB -- I think you are correct!! Here's Mountain Hunter going after the 100 yard pigs...

Here's Mountain Hunter and Wet Dog at another venue...

I was shooting a rifle I had gotten just the day before the match. Had no idea where/how the elevation on the sights would play. I did fire about ten shoots the day I got it to see where the windage was set...

I think "Gotcha" is an accurate term. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I suppose it is kinda confusing, especially for people like me who have never been to a match. Probably good thing for me , as I think it would be addictive.
I remember seeing an ad in a shooting magazine that had a lead bullet hitting a steel ram at the exact time of impact with a caption that read" the first time you do THIS , we Gotcha "
BoB

Yeah it is very addictive and the way one of the clubs is run they can get a LOT of people in with
very few delays.
They say if this won't make you into a reloader, nothing will!
Lot of fun and you can shoot pistol as well.
I have to decide if I put a red dot on my Buckmark target pistol or use irons.
It's a 2-3 moa dot so hard to say.
You really should try it, we started and my wife and I shoot this along with
sporting clays.

Reactions: kybob
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.