Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most silent round that will kill a squirrel at say 25 yards? Im thinking cb shorts or aguila colibri'

·
Registered
20 Posts
Colibri's won't do it. They go so slow that you can watch them. ( I've had them bounce back off of cardboard @ 50') Super Colibries are a little faster but still not likely to kill anything beyond 20' ( not yards). CB's are better but still marginal for the onger ranges you are asking about. Best to shoot a target velocity /grade round ( i.e subsonic/in the 1000'/sec range )and kill the critter with one shot. It's my experience that if you shoot once, nobody will pay attention. Shoot 2-3 times, and EVERYBODY knows it was a gun and where the noise came from. Of course, if your shooting in a residential neighborhood you NEED to be sure of where you round could end up. If you don't know, don't shoot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
saftey is def. a concern of mine. Ill be shooting aginst a large earth backstop. I just dont want to be arrested!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
If you can make a head shot, the CB's have adequate power, as they launch a 30 grain bullet at just over 700 (720) fps in my rifles. This is twice the bullet weight of a .22 pellet gun and not far from four times the weight of a .177 pellet. The report of a CB in a long barrelled .22 is quieter than a pellet gun, but they can be fairly loud in short barrelled guns.

These work fine on cottontails, even with chest shots, but squirrels are tougher, so a head shot is best. A behind the shoulder shot (ribcage) will dispatch them too, but expect them to sometimes run a short distance after the hit.

Here's a shooting tip: The powder in CB's doesn't occupy most of the case. To prevent vertical stringing from velocity variations, make sure the powder is in the rear of the case before firing. You will get more consistent velocity and better accuracy that way. If you must shoot squirrels and go for chest or head shots, don't shoot too far, as placement is important. You should stick to your intended 25-30 yards or less.

·
Registered
94 Posts
slightly dangerous but...

Most of you must be knowing this trick but it makes the bullet quiter than a bb gun. Take the lead bullet out of the cartridge by twisting it out gently. Use extreme caution...after it is out slide a small wad of cardboard inside like in a shotgun shell and then put a.22 air rifle pellet inside it. Normally this will be a very quite cartridge but I don't know if it will kill a rabbit or not. I haven't tried this on game just on a few indoor targets.

katana.

·
Registered
94 Posts
slightly dangerous but...

Most of you must be knowing this trick but it makes the bullet quiter than a bb gun. Take the lead bullet out of the cartridge by twisting it out gently. Use extreme caution...after it is out slide a small wad of cardboard inside like in a shotgun shell and then put a.22 air rifle pellet inside it. Normally this will be a very quite cartridge but I don't know if it will kill a rabbit or not. I haven't tried this on game just on a few indoor targets.

katana.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Shoot sub-sonic ammo. It's not "silent" but the noise doesn't carry and they will kill game quite well. If you live in a state where it's legal, you can go through the paperwork for a silencer. When combined with the subsonics ammo younever hear the a report: just a click of the striker and the thump of the bullet hitting the target. Silencers are prohibited in my state. If they weren't, I'd have one on one of my JW's in a heartbeat. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Or fit a silencer. :lol:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Oh sure! Rub it in! I was gawking at Parker-Hale suppressors for air-rifles and .22's in Inverness @ about $50 US. Of course, I tell my buddy about buying H-4350 powder for $18/lb while he spends 35 Pounds Sterling for the same and he get's all giddy. I guess I'd rather have cheap and plentiful powder and components!

Thanks for posting a picture of that rabbit! I have been telling folk here how large the rabbits I was shooting with "subs" in the UK were but I think they didn't believe me. That's a huge hopper! ~Andrew

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have shot quite a few vermin with the Super Colibri's and they will do the job esp with a head shot. Some I have shot out to about 45-50 yards. If they will put down ***** and skunks they will put down rabbits and squirrels. I have shot them out of my mod 39 but mostly out of my Savage mod 24. They do a good job.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Didn’t mean to rub it in Andrew, :wink: but let’s face it silencers are just about the only thing about firearms that we can have, and you have problems with.
As for the price of powders, this is just another government ploy to screw law abiding shooters. They have stopped anyone without special authority from transporting powders, which in turn makes it too expensive for them to bother applying for the authority to begin with. This means that most dealers have to go and get it themselves, which apparently boosts the prices. :roll: Yeah I bet!!!!!!
It is now being proposed that loading gear is to be placed on ticket as well in order to prevent non-authorised people from buying powders primers and even loading presses.
Why the heck would any self-respecting criminal want to pay a small fortune for a loading press and all the reloading gear, and then spend valuable thieving time reloading, when he could buy all the illegal ammo’ he wants from other criminals. :?
Anyway, I digress.
Yes I shoot many rabbits with a silenced .22 using Eley/Winchester subsonic HPs. I had it shortened to 16 inches and a “Moderator” (Mustn’t call it a silencer as it sounds like something out of a James bond movie) fitted.
If I am on a farm where the warrens are a little further out in the field I take my CZ American .17hmr for that extra reach.
I am thinking about having the .17 shortened to 16 inches as well and having a silencer (oops :oops: , Moderator) fitted as this would cut down on the initial muzzle blast, but I’m just wondering if this would slow the bullet down to much. Can’t see the point of having a .17 that does 2550fps and then reducing it.
As for using “Shorts” in a chamber that has been cut to fire “Long rifle”, wouldn’t this affect accuracy due to the long jump into the rifling? :?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't like using shorts in a LR chamber and yes, the accuracy isn't the best. I really prefer sub-sonics. Even in a non-moderated gun they are only "loud" to the shooter. If you're 20 or 30 yards away it sounds like an air-rifle. In the forest where there are natural baffles to the sound waves I'm sure it would be quieter yet.

I'm not sure I'd cut the 17HMR and moderate it. I agree: No point in cutting down the speed because that is what all it's performance hinges on.

Regulating reloading equipment. Amazing. Wait until they catch on that some people in the UK cast their own bullets! (sigh) ~Andrew

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have used the CCI CB caps in both long and short cases AND the Colibri and Super Colibri, AND the discontinued Remington CBees. All will work to 25 yards BUT... The Colibris are marginal. The Super Colibris require rezero. The CCI shorts seem to be less accurate than the longs in my guns (I've used them in 5 different guns) however the shorts and longs shoot to the same 25 yard zero as my standard ammo in 3 of those 5 guns. Groups though are not as good as the standard ammo for each rifle. The Remington CBees were the least accurate and loudest but they were the most effective as they were producing the highest velocities.

To sum up, the best choice for 25 yards is the CCI CB long. You might not even have to rezero!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basicly, im looking for as silent as possible. Ive got problems with the tree rats eating through my cable!!! Besides im hungry! Ill be shooting from indoors, just dont want to alert my neighbors to the shots! Like i mentioned earlyer, i have a great backstop so saftey isnt the issue.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Hobie's right about the CB Long. I keep a Sears 2T (Win 141) behind the door with an old Bushnell Custom 4X, 7/8" rimfire scope. It'll hold about 10 CB Longs in the tube mag loaded thru the buttstock, & put 5 in an inch or less out to 30-35yds or so. We live on a couple of acres inside the city (town??) & have a half dozen pecan trees that the squirrels love to raid. No close neigbors & pretty good woods behind the place but we're still inside the city & shooting is thus "verboten" :evil: . The little rifle loaded with the CB Longs is quiet, effective, and assures that I'll get at least a share of the crop :lol: .

·
Registered
18 Posts
CB long is the way to go. I have used it quite a bit in my papoose and it hits pretty hard out to 20 yards. I have a cheap BSA scope with duplex cross hairs, and the zeros work out that if I adjust the cross hairs for federal bulk pack, I can use the lower leg of the reticle- right where "thick and thin" portions meet, to shoot CB long. Makes holdovers easier, too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
looong range 22 shorts.....

i have the old stevens 87a shooting shorts! at 100yds she has the same poi as the target grade LR rem ammo~ :shock: go figgure!? the 22shorts away quieter, and still will sometime punch thru a 1" green poplar baord at 100yds!....THEN just fort kicks i shot at the 250yd ol 'dirt pile" out inthefield, dropping at about 6 foot, they were still pretty accurate, hitting the dirt clods 1 outta 5~ the target LR were dropping at about 3-4 ft, were faster getting there and way more accurate...1 outta 2 hits....
she will shoot the cb longs better that the cb shorts in accuracy dept, but they a almost 4 bucks a box! :shock:
so shorts are powerful, and louder then the cb longs in my rifle....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey Kaintuck,
Will your 87 shoot those shorts in semi mode or do you have to use the bolt action mode?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts