Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to post this question, so I'll try here first. I bought a Lyman sights box at an auction and these two sights were in it along with several others. Does any one have an Idea of what rifle these are off of? Can they be used on any lever actions with modifications?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Hi, I believe you have Rear sight assembly's for the "Model of 1917 Enfield"

They should have a small "E", "W", or "R" stamped on them somewhere. Let me know if you are interested in selling them.They are common.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
magdump said:
Hi, I believe you have Rear sight assembly's for the "Model of 1917 Enfield"

They should have a small "E", "W", or "R" stamped on them somewhere. Let me know if you are interested in selling them.They are common.
Yes, I knew I had seen them some where before. 40 some odd years ago as a teenager I had a 1917 Eddystone Enfield that I butchered into a "sporter" .30/06.

One of these sights has an "E" and one has an "R". Which I assume would be from an Eddystone and a Remington. I bought the box of sights mainly because it had a Lyman No. 5 Beech folding hooded front sight.

I don't have enough posts to sell on MO yet and that was not my intent. I may try to use them on a rifle, that is yet to be determined.

Thanks!!

Wayne

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Wayne,

I think Magdump is correct. And... How cool are those! :)

Reality is, to manufacture some of the great "battle sights" of WW I and WW II would cost more than most of the rifles are worth today. There was some amazing machining that went into those sights (and all before CNC).

I dont see any reason why a base couldnt be built to mount one of those sights on top of a Marlin receiver.

Incidently.... 25/20 is one of my all time favorite Marlin calibers. Mine is a "Classic 94" and shoots amazing. Living in the West we can use it for fall turkey and the occasional deer. (just like they did 100 years ago) It works great on both!

Great find on those sights!

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts