Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new guide gun next week and am wondering what to do about sights. I have been researching and think that the Skinner sights are definitely at the top of the list. I have shot peep sights, but it has been years. Is it a natural transition from traditional sights to a peep type sight (it has been a lot of years).

Is my accuracy going to be significally better with the peep type sight (vs factory sights)? Is the only difference between peep sights and ghost ring sights aperture size? What is the optimum aperture size for all around use?

I am thinking about the lo pro sight because it looks to be the simplest and I can mount a scope later with the lever rail and leave it in place. Will I get acceptable accuracy with the stock front sight or will it be best to replace it?

I plan to try the stock sights, but am looking for the best all around option for hunting hogs and deer in Florida.

I appreciate your input.

·
Premium Member
13,701 Posts
Great lever to own.... I've scoped each of mine for deer/hog hunting in Florida but to each their own. Lot's of folks like their skinner's too.

Where at in Florida do you reside (aprox). We're having a 2011 Florida Marlin Owners get together in May hopefully. Click this link if you are interested. We started getting together last year, had a great time shooting the rifles and the bull. ;D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I picked up the 1895GS this past fall and switched over to Skinner's express sight. I've never been good with iron sights and figured my longest shot at deer sized game would be 100yards. I like how quick the peep is to get on target.
The other option I've considered is the scout rail with QR rings and may eventually go that direction. That way I'll get the best of both worlds.
Do look into the peeps as they are amazingly quick and much more accurate than irons.
Good luck,
Tim

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna be forced to try them out.

I would love to attend the Marlin Owner's Rally if I have the time. I'm in Apalachicola, so it's a pretty good haul to Orlando.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I think Andy has some information on expected accuracy with peep sights and other sights, including scopes, on the bottom of the first page of his website, skinnersights.com. I use peep sights on my guide gun and really like them. I have the 1895 sight in stainless steel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It really varies by shooter. I could hardly hit paper with factory irons. With my Skinner Lo-Pro's I was constantly punching bulls at 50 yards. The funny thing is that my dad, who shot peeps at military school as a kid, can't hit for nothing with them but is very proficient with factory irons. To each their own.

As far as which Skinner sight, I have always loved the Lo-Pro K.I.S.S. theory. No screws to rattle loose, and no way for anything to move when bumped. Can't get any more simple or dependable than that.

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Hello Coal Smoke,

Shooting a peep sight accurately requires one main thing... After selecting the aperture sight you like and fits the application you have for it, (ie: sleek look of the Skinner "EXPRESS" sight, rugged design of the Skinner "TACTICAL", simple but fully adjustable standard 1895/336 Skinner sight, or SIMPLE and low Lo-Pro) get it sighted in, then FORGET ITS THERE except to be looking through the peep while shooting. Your total focus will be on the front sight and its location on the target. Forget about the aperture. The hole is small enough and your eye/brain will automatically center the front sight in the aperture.

That way all you need to do is put the front sight on the target and squeeze the trigger. Simple, accurate, and rugged.

To answer your question about front sight height.

The factory front sight will most likely work with the EXPRESS Sight, have a fair chance of working with our standard sight, and may be too tall for the Lo-Pro or Tactical. Those conclusions come from my own shooting with Guide Guns and feedback from customers.

We always suggest a "Shoot-N-See" approach to front sight height.

Bottom line?

Skinner Sights will work with you to make sure you get the combination needed to be successful.

MARLIN OWNERS GET TOGETHER IN FLORIDA!!!!! Thats a gathering I'd love to attend! Its just a short drive from Montana...

:)

ANDY

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info guys. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. There is nothing like practical experience. I too was trained on peep sights in school, but haven't shot them in 25 years.

I shoot well with traditional sights, but everyone seems to think peeps/ghost rings are the ultimate. I am really excited about having a guide gun and want to use it to it's full potential.

I have to say the lo pro has my vote so far for it's simplicity and the fact that you can forget it's there. I also like the fact that I can add a scout rail later without moving it.

If anyone has an opinion or experience, I am always open.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally have in hand my new (to me) ported guide gun (2001 model). I have wanted one forever and could kick myself for waiting this long. I started this thread to explore options in case I wanted to change the factory sights. Now that I have it, I do want to change them.

My question is this: What is the best all around Skinner sight that I can put on. I still want the option to mount a scout scope in the future. I am leaning toward the guide gun set as long as it leaves the front screws open for mounting the lever rail. I think I am definitely going to replace the front sight with a wider blade.

I know a lot of you have plowed this ground before so I would love to benefit from your knowledge and experience.

·
Vendor
1,942 Posts
Guide set fits in the rear two holes and should be tall enough to peek over the top of a rail. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will post pics as soon as possible. It is absolutely pristine. It could not have been shot much.

I have been looking at the guide set hard and was leaning that way. I think I'm gonna hafta do it. I don't think I am going to want a scope, but I don't want to rule it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts