Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970’s vintage H & R 45/70. Shoots fine with everything I’ve thought to put in it over the years but sights don’t elevate over 100 yards. I would like to put a full buckhorn sight on it. Was thinking Marbles, like the semi-buck horn on my ’95 cb, but wondering whether that would work on the round barrel. Had other questions but the ’95 kind of answered them. Called Marbles, recording said to call distributor; distributor said to call Marbles. Is getting frustrating, like the rifle but not the sights. Any comments, ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks smokinjoe. Had a bunch of questions at first, but after I got the ’95 only one remains is whether that sight will work on a round barrel instead of a flat like the ’95. Was hoping someone here would know.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just got a flyer from Midway, had a nice looking peep sight for the old H&R's on one of their 'sale' pages! Check out USAMidway.com

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reloaderman,
Think I noticed it about 2 days ago when I went over that flyer, also noticed a flat top for the H & R. Had a sale on .44 cases, and my mind went to jello. Can’t find that flyer now to check. Seems like the hard copy junk mail is worse than junk e-mail, have a filter for that. Granted, I do save the other for my bird cages.
Thing is, I’ve always liked semi-buckhorn sites; and thought I’d really like a full buckhorn. Now that my H & R is only for target shooting, thought I might try it. What intrigues me is that they give a number of different ranges to sight at. Semi-buckhorn on my hunting 1895 CB.
Have decided to go with the Marble full buckhorn and lowest gold front site. Decided to restock my reloading den, not just the stuff I can’t find, but also the stuff that tried my patience; soon as I get around to it. Lot of cogitation involved.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Full Buckhorn was on back order, finally came in. Looks like all my cogitating paid off. That full buckhorn is way lower than the semi-buckhorn. Low front sight the ticket. And it gives me a sight picture like I’d hoped! Now, when I get time, not a distracted, hurry up, sort of thing; I’ll install them. Was thinking a pair of vices and hammer and dow and gentle tapping, but a friend had another idea. He thought a C-clamp would be the ticket, just screw the old ones out and the new ones in. Might have to form some wood blocks for the process but sounds good to me. I’m thinking “Screw it!”

1 - 6 of 6 Posts