Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this site, very knowledgeable folks.I have a 444SS, 1995 model. It has the regular factory sights. It takes me awhile to sight into something. What are some of the types of open sights that might be better fo me? I would like to find a type that will fit my rifle without much trouble. Thanks guys for any information any one might have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom, what about the front sight, is brass, white or black the only options for the front bead. I know at my age my eyes do not focus as good, but is anything brighter or easier to pick up?

·
Registered
522 Posts
What I did was replace the front sight dovetail ramp inserts on my 336's, 444's and 1895 45/70 with a standard dot tritium bead from XS Sight Systems. It shows up as a white bead in daylight and green glow that increases as the light dims until dark. I tried their big dot and it was too large.

I haven't found it in their catalog or website so I order them directly by phone (1-888-744-4880). Their part number is 10-2008B-350-4 and they refer to it as .375 x60 degree x .095 dovetail Standard Dot Tritium .350 H, .340 base. It seems to be an exact replacement for the factory part.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am a fan of peep sights. I have several different types from different manufacturers. I like the Skinner for the Marlins. Williams are also good.
Bubba_K said:
Thanks Tom, what about the front sight, is brass, white or black the only options for the front bead. I know at my age my eyes do not focus as good, but is anything brighter or easier to pick up?
For front sights you have lots of options. I have had to swap out more than a few. Brownell's has a very good line up from which to choose. I recommend you check out New England Custom Guns. They are used to dealing with double rifles and express rifles- in those arenas the front sight is mighty important. NECG has lots of options- sizes, heights, shapes- a lot of good choices. And if you call them they are good to talk to about front sight choices. I called them about my double rifle front sight- followed their advice and am pleased with their front sight on my double. Here's the address-

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Brownells http://www.brownells.com/ also carries NECG sights- and a bunch of others.

Good luck.

M

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
"Williams" have sets of a rear peep and two different hight "fiber optic" fronts, to match your gun. The last set I picked up came from Natchez, I beleave.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
If looking for a ghost ring type...I like my "Brockmans", but AO/XS's are also good.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
The xs,skinner and williams peeps. Havnt tried the skinner yet,but I trust these guys,and they look solid. My next will be a skinner. I like the XS because its simple.and the williams has the look,That we are all used to seeing.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
+1 on peep sights. Brand depends on individual preference. I had good luck with the Williams set as 444Hal said.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Maudite said:
I am a fan of peep sights. I have several different types from different manufacturers. I like the Skinner for the Marlins. Williams are also good.For front sights you have lots of options. I have had to swap out more than a few. Brownell's has a very good line up from which to choose. I recommend you check out New England Custom Guns. They are used to dealing with double rifles and express rifles- in those arenas the front sight is mighty important. NECG has lots of options- sizes, heights, shapes- a lot of good choices. And if you call them they are good to talk to about front sight choices. I called them about my double rifle front sight- followed their advice and am pleased with their front sight on my double. Here's the address-

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Brownells http://www.brownells.com/ also carries NECG sights- and a bunch of others.

Good luck.

M
Maudite; have you any experience with the barrel mount peep like Skinner has?

I picked up a '52 Marlin in .35 rem last weekend at the Grand Rapids show, waffle top, not drilled & tapped and would like to try a peep. So far, that looks like the best option to me for not wanting to alter the rifle.

Thanks, and I read you found a gem there too! Congrats on your Browning, if I remember right.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Roan444 said:
Maudite; have you any experience with the barrel mount peep like Skinner has?

I picked up a '52 Marlin in .35 rem last weekend at the Grand Rapids show, waffle top, not drilled & tapped and would like to try a peep. So far, that looks like the best option to me for not wanting to alter the rifle.

Thanks, and I read you found a gem there too! Congrats on your Browning, if I remember right.
My J model 35 was d&t on the left side of receiver for a peep. Yours isn't?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Roan

Hi neighbor! Hey- that sounds like a good find.

I used a Skinner front sight on my Browning BL-22. I put a Williams peep on it and it just shot everything too high. So I adjusted the sight up a bit so it wasn't bottomed out- to give me some room for later adjustments. Then I put it on a target at a known distance and shot a group from the bench. I measured the distance from the center of mass of the group to the bull... then I used the formula on the Skinner webpage to figure out the sight height I needed to get on the bull. Ordered that, got it, installed it- and presto chango- Browning was on target, and I still had some room to make adjustments with the Williams peep.

So- I had a good experience with the Skinner front sight.

M

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have skinners on 2 of my 1894's and 2 of my 1895'5. Their customer service is great...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use XS front post sights (the ones with the white stripe) on all of my lever guns, with Williams FP or Skinner peep sights on the rear. I've never cared for bead sights for any kind of distance shooting over 100 yards, as the bead tends to cover too much of the target. With the post front sight, I sight so that the bullets impact on the top of the front sight, so I don't have to cover the target or animal I'm shooting at. Brownells sells the XS front sights in a variety of heights. I simply drift out the front factory bead sight, measure it with a caliper, then order the same height XS sight. Having the same sight on all of my lever guns keeps things simple.

Russell420

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Yesterday I installed these sights on a friends 444 Marlin. Sight picture is clear and the look is quite elegant. :)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts