Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to replace my front sight on the 1895 45 70 as the original was a bit bent and had seen better days (and also my eyes were battling to pick it up in anything but perfect light) so i got hold of a green Fire sight which turned out not to fit. My local Gunsmith had a red one floating around that he put in for me and kept the green one as a swap.

I then stumbled across a fully adjustable Williams rear peep sight which i bought. I had to remove the original rear buckhorn sight but it has now left an open dovetail which is sharp as buggery and has already lifted a flap of skin off my knuckle!:(

My question is, can one buy a blank to drift into the open Dovetail ? and if so where could i get may hands on one? Remembering i am in Australia, so it would have to be an online source....

Any Ideas?

Thanks...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Leverlad, good to hear from you, now if your a bit handy with simple tools and have decided that there is no way that old wedge sight is going back on, cut off the spring bit that runs parallel with the barrel and then gently grind/ file off the rest and make it fit the profile of your barrel.
A quick drop of cold blue and drift it back into place, the one I did looks and fits better than the proprietary one I have on another rifle.
There used to be a bit on JJJ, tight a$se Tuesday, would this qualify I wonder?

BTW, I have not forgotten the 308mx ammo, just the transport issue to contend with.

John

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Williams makes blanks that will fit, so does Skinner. I have both :) and no issues with either!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leverlad, good to hear from you, now if your a bit handy with simple tools and have decided that there is no way that old wedge sight is going back on, cut off the spring bit that runs parallel with the barrel and then gently grind/ file off the rest and make it fit the profile of your barrel.
A quick drop of cold blue and drift it back into place, the one I did looks and fits better than the proprietary one I have on another rifle.
There used to be a bit on JJJ, tight a$se Tuesday, would this qualify I wonder?

BTW, I have not forgotten the 308mx ammo, just the transport issue to contend with.

John
Hey John

That thought has crossed my mind actually, but i was hoping someone may have one lying around that i could buy off them or maybe i could try the USA websites but i keep running up against the excuse that they cant export gun parts without a permit ... I find that strange though cos i can get similar things off of Ebay easy enough ... maybe someone might put up one on ebay one day...

That .308 MX ammo is still sitting in my safe - just let me know when your next in Brisbane...

·
Registered
350 Posts
i keep running up against the excuse that they cant export gun parts without a permit
that doesn't stop them - they may use it as an excuse because they can't be bothered to ship but the export restrictions apply to things like pressure containting parts (barrels, bolts, receivers) and ammo (live, brass, primers, don't think projectiles though). Some shops don't know the difference so don't ship anything. Brownells are good but shipping is on the high side, midway are worse.

Have you tried Guns & Reloading Gear For Sale Online - Mail Order Australia Wide - Western Firearms - All Your or Safari Firearms ? They may not list them but if you gave them a call I'd be amazed if either couldn't help - have found safari great to deal with. I live out a way and they often don't charge me postage and often give random discounts off retail... westernfirearms are good for marlin parts in general.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here is what I have done on some of my Marlins. On others I use the blanks.
It's easy to do and I think they give the rifle a custom look.

IMG_4827.JPG

Reactions: leverlad
1 - 8 of 8 Posts