Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! How many like/have a Sig Sauer 1911? Whats your likes/dislikes?

Thanks,

Shudy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally I had a pair of the scarce all stainless railed GSR Carry .45's but in a weak moment I sold one. I love Commander length 1911's and I especially like the SIG's. Due to the slides profile and the rail, I had to have a couple holsters custom made for them. The only thing that I had to change was the sear spring, the used one had an atrocious trigger pull.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Shot a stainless GSR and like it quite a bit. Very accurate and controllable. Definately would be a consideration especially if I was going after a railed 1911.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I dont really like railed pistols but I am thinking about waiting for the traditional Sig 1911 to come out later this spring. I think for the money they should be on par with Kimber, Springfield, and Colt. You still get all the bells and whistles with the Sig for the same amount of money as the other brands I mentioned. I just havent gotten to shoot one yet and I hope I can find someone that has one that I can shoot. The price is good for individual officer price and they sell directly to law enforcement which is a plus for me. Ill let you know when i am able to get one. Thanks again!

Shudy

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
shudy said:
I think for the money they should be on par with Kimber, Springfield, and Colt.....
Don't forget about the S&W 1911's too. I bought mine (full sized) in April and it is a fine machine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont want to knock some of the other 1911s but for some reason the S&W doesnt appeal to me. Smiths are fine products but I just dont want one of their semi autos. I like springfields but I dont like their commander size pistols. Im not too big of a fan with Kimbers either. I probably would like the Smith if I shot one but there are so many 1911s. One of the major factors for me for the Sig is cost. I can order directly through Sig and not worry about tax, shipping, transfer fee, and background check fee. Not all companies will let law enforcement order directly and it save me more money. I guess im picky. lol

Shudy

·
Registered
821 Posts
not trying to to get off topic but for some reason when i hear 1911 i have day dreams of rampant colts. i just love my colts. although i plan to have a kimber in the future. that is a nice looking sig though

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I don't care for Sig's treatment of the slide contours, but it certainly does make them instantly recognizable as a Sig product and differentiates them from all the other 1911 clones. No one can fault the quality of their products, but I guess I lean more towards the traditionalist camp.

But...since they offer a LE discount and simplify the process by selling direct to you...I'd overlook the percieved (by me ;)) cosmetic shortcommings, as I've heard nothing but favorable reports on these pistols. Sounds like a win/win.

By the way, Mountian Bill, nice Esmeralda's on that pistol.

Roe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill admit the slide contours are my least favorite thing about the Sig and they do take some getting used to. However Sig has come out with 5 new 1911s called the traditional series that are pure 1911. They are supposed to be out later this spring thats the one I am waiting for. Its really cheaper for me to buy a Sig 1911 than it is most others. I dont think a person can go wrong with any of the major brands of 1911s that are available its just up to personal choice which you choose.

Shudy

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
shudy said:
Ill admit the slide contours are my least favorite thing about the Sig and they do take some getting used to. However Sig has come out with 5 new 1911s called the traditional series that are pure 1911.
Sounds like that removes the only stumbling block.

shudy said:
I dont think a person can go wrong with any of the major brands of 1911s that are available its just up to personal choice which you choose.
For the most part, I agree. The 1911 market is a very competitive one and the various makers must provide a good product to keep their portion of the market share. I would venture to say the vast majority of 1911s we have to choose from today are better than those that Colt produced during the '70's and '80's when they were nearly the only game in town.

The offerings I've shot and examined from SA, S&W, Para-Ord, Kimber,and others...and yes, even Colt...over the last 10 years have, to a gun, showed better fit, smoother function, better accuracy, and greater reliability than anything we were able to buy off-the-shelf back in those early days of "combat shooting". In fact, it was the lack of all those attributes in the Colts of the day, that lead to the rise of so many of the famous pistolsmiths we take for granted today.

Grab one of those Sigs as soon as they become available Shudy, give it a good break-in, and test it thoroughly with the ammo and magazines you will use before relying on it for anything serious...then enjoy another finely made 1911. And don't forget to keep us updated with pics...and a review...more pics...and a range test...did I mention we'd like some pics...

Roe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roe,

Interesting information on the history of the 1911 and why we have as many as we do have available. There is something about owning a Colt though that I like. Whats funny is though Colt didnt make a superior product in the 70s and 80s everyone still wanted one. Even today nothing seems to say 1911 like a Colt. I will post pics as soon as I get one and give the details.

Shudy

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you're considering other brands of 1911's check out the Dan Wesson's. I had them build me a stainless non bobtailed 10mm Commander and the fit on that gun is astounding. I immediately sold my pair of Les Baers as they didn't compare.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I'll second the Dan Wesson choice. Their fit and finish are amazing. Function is beautiful. They are now in the $1500 range, but compare favorably to the $2100 price point for the 1911 manufacturers. Two years ago they were THE choice in the $900 area, nothing else came close. Looked like they were intentionally loosing money to try to get their product out there.

I've seen quite a few problems with Kimber production in the past few years. I wouldn't recommend them at this point. Springfield Armory remains a good option though.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Mountain William, are those knives from the bona fide Stiletto family?

Jon

·
Registered
549 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts