Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new 22 autoloader. Has anyone here fired the new Sig? Anyone own one? Their Mosquito intrigued me for a while, but had an acquaintance who owned one, said it jammed often with both magazines. I posed that question here and had several give the same response (jamming), so I'm less inclined to go with the Mosquito. I'm really a revolver man at heart, and a fan of the Taurus 94, but I want a full 10-shot capability, and I do like the 1911 format. The Sig also comes with adjustable sights, which I like on a 22. So, tell me your impressions, please.
Thanks in advance!
tim

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
My understanding is that the Sig 1911-22 is a relabelled GSG-22, which I have one of them.

Shoots quite well! Smells funny and the smell doesn't go away but it shoots quite well indeed!

Jon

·
Banned
497 Posts
I aquired a GSG just a few weeks ago. So far so good after a couple of hundered rounds. I've had a few jams and stove pipes and lately the second round has not been auto loading. I have only put bulk Federals and Winchesters through it. I think it's time for its first good cleaning. I like the feel and the similarity to a .45 1911 - the cool factor is way off the charts compared to other 22 pistols. The plastic sights are a bit hokey but they work and can be changed. If you get one be prepared to budget more for 22 ammo as it is a fun gun to shoot and hard to put away. Overall it is well put together and yes it has some cheapo parts to keep the price down but there are upgrades available. If you have small hands it may not be for you as the reach to the slide release is a stretch, but the safety is ambidextrous and right there. Decocking takes two hands but its something you get used to quick. Overall I'm happy with it See more reviews on rimfirecentral.com in the pistol section. Everyone seems pleased with it though everyone complains about the price of extra magazines.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I went to my local gunshop to buy one last week. It was a used one in 100% condition in OD green. It certainly looks nice, and seems better made than other 22 1911 clones. Once I got there and handled it chose not to buy it. Here's why: it doesn't feel like a 1911. Yes, it's shaped just like one, but the weight and balance was (for me) odd and uncomfortable; it had quite a few cheap parts (pastic sights, sharp small parts); it was essentially painted green; and as someone else said it really did smell funny...like toy from my childhood. I passed on it, but I don't doubt that it's a decent gun. It's probably the one of the best choices in a dedicated 22 1911. I just decided to go with a conversion slide on a real 1911. Oh, and for what the shop wanted I could have bought a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The Sig 1911-22 is nothing more than a private-labeled ATI GSG 1911-22 that sells for about a C-note more than the original. Here is a thread about the ATI that would be easy to find IF the damn search engine on this Forum worked at all...

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/h...stead-conversion-kit-review-added-3-23-a.html

Jon's right, they do have a peculiar odor, but I never notice it when I'm shooting. I suppose if it's bothersome, you could add some nose plugs to your normal eye protection and ear plugs. :wink: They also have plastic sights...but so do Glocks, and I never hear a complaint about those.

Actually, the GSG has far exceeded my expectations and although it's no Colt Woodsman or S&W 41, it shoots as accurately as a Kimber Conversion unit I have and far more so than an original Colt Ace I once owned (and with far greater reliability too).

No doubt, there are far better rimfire autos available if bullseye is your game, and I won't take anything away from the excellent Browning Buckmark or (begrudgingly) the Ruger...but keeping in mind it's modest price, it's ability to customize with many true 1911 parts, and it's far better than expected accuracy, I think it's a great buy in a .22 autoloader, especially for the 1911 aficionado.

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I don't ever mention the "peculiar odor" to students...all I need is someone pointing it up his nose for a whiff.

My gets a steady diet of bulk .22 ammo, cheap fodder for students to blast away with. It eats it up!

The GSGs also have many compatible parts with "real" 1911s, as you can read in the thread Roe posted. I replaced the arched mainspring housing with a flat one on ours.

Another quality .22 pistol, for only twice the price, is the Browning 1911-22 but it is roughly half the size of a regular 1911. The girl got one for a surprise. It reminds me of an old cigarette lighter but it shoots like a barn a' fire!

Jon

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Tim, I have a Sig 1911-22 (dark earth finish). Purchased the pistol about 2 months ago & have run app. 500 rds thru it. Only problem I had was with Federal SpitFire ammo. Rem. (bulk) Win. (bulk & Super-X), Federal (bulk) & CCI's all perform without problems. Yes it is a faniced up GSG 1911-22 & about $70 more than the GSG but I do really like it & have had a lot of fun shooting it. Right after I purchased the Sig, I took it over to let my shooting buddie handle & do some plinking with it, Well he went to the same LGS the next day & bought one & has been grinning from ear to ear ever since, & i know why!

Reactions: tubaguy

·
Premium Member
18,019 Posts
Whichever version you get, I think you'll be happy with it. It's worth what it costs, and if you want to pay a little more for the SIG version, that's up to you. Keep it clean and it'll give you good service. I enjoy mine, and it's the favored handgun in the classes I teach......the women LOVE that gun.

Reactions: tubaguy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the quick and informed replies! Reeds in Walker, MN has them on special @ $349 right now. Hoping to post my happiness with the purchase next week! Thanks, again... tim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PHOT0003.JPG PHOT0007.JPG I picked it up today! I handled the Ruger, the Browning, the Mosquito, and stayed with the Sig 1911. REALLY like the way it fits my hand. Both my Mrs and I did some shooting with it right away; sights are off by 2" right at 20 yrds, elevation was fine, and it was easy enough to adjust for, so we then got busy ringing my gong out to 50 yrds. I did have a few failures to feed with standard velocity ammo, but that stopped when I tried CCI Stingers. I probably just need to clean the thing, but for tonight I'm pretty pleased. btw, I paid $399 for the gun, 2 mags, hard case, and holster. I'm happy with it. Thanks for all your shared info! tim

·
Premium Member
10,883 Posts
Whichever version you get, I think you'll be happy with it. It's worth what it costs, and if you want to pay a little more for the SIG version, that's up to you. Keep it clean and it'll give you good service. I enjoy mine, and it's the favored handgun in the classes I teach......the women LOVE that gun.

I'm thinkin' there's a ulterior motive in teaching classes to all these women!.................'Fess up,............Are these classes all legit?.................And HEY!.......Correct that "Teacup" grip!........You shouldn't be teachin' BAD habits.........At least, NOT in the field........:flute:............I'm gonna call Roe, for the straight skinny............

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
From everything I've been able to discern, it's all on the up and up Tom....for the most part anyhow. A big improvement over his prior "sideline". Before this, PJ was giving lap dances at the local retirement villages to earn primer and powder cash. I warned him the risk of paper cuts alone wasn't worth it and after a particularly nasty episode he finally agreed.

As for that teacup grip...I've caught PJ using the same hold in pictures posted on this very Forum, however he does have enough class to keep his little finger extended.

Roe

·
Premium Member
18,019 Posts
Rather than foist my slanted opinions of what stance and grips my students should employ, I tell them to use what's most comfortable, and as long as it works for them, I'm happy. I show them several options and let them pick, they usually settled on interlaced fingers, but many of them lack upper body strength, and holding the gun at arms' length tends to wear them out. I suggested they drop the gun to "low ready" and relax for a minute, but some use the teacup grip as as way to support the gun for longer strings of fire. As long as they're hitting what they're aiming at, I just let it go.

BTW, the woman pictured above is one of my star students, she picked up on everything very quickly despite having ZERO shooting experience, and when she came back for an intermediate class a few weeks ago she really made me proud. With no practice or preparation. she fired three rounds rapid-fire at a zombie target at ten yards, and put all three 38 plus-P rounds in the skull in about three seconds. She's a LOT older than she looks......I was thoroughly impressed with her attitude and ability.

Tubaguy, sorry for the thread drift, but you know how envious these guys are of my skills with the ladies. Some of us have it, some don't. The have-nots are always the ones sniping from the sidelines. :bootyshake:

I'm glad you're happy with the new gun, and it sounds like your wife is equally pleased with the newest family member. Well done!

Reactions: Tomray and tubaguy

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was Kittery Trading Post in Maine a few days ago where I picked up a 1969 39a Mountie, but that's another story. I looked at a few of the 1911 22's while waiting for the paperwork to clear on the rifle. The Browning 1911 22 is to my way of thinking the best quality. It handles nicely and feels like money. It's a 1911 to a t and breaks down real easy, just like the big gun. It is 85% of full size, but it's well made and a good bet for people with small hands and deep pockets. It only comes with one mag as well. The Colt clone 1911/22 is nice but it is a red headed stepchild.......Colt name, made by S&W, Walther in Germany and imported by an air gun maker. When I asked who to contact re more info on who stands behind it, KTP says Colt only has its name on it and probably Walther would. The Sig again has its name on a GSG gun and talking with the Sig Sauer gun shop in Epping NH, they send problem guns to GSG in Germany for repair and it takes time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decoy, I would have LOVED to purchase the Browning, but that'll have to wait. Til then, I've shot the Sig several more times, really enjoying it. I don't really like the plastic holster that came with it...seems to make it too bulky. I'll be looking into something slimmer, maybe just a belt slide. Both mags feed fine with hi-speed ammo, even the Winchester 1380 fps package, still occasional jams with standard velocity fodder, even after cleaning the chamber. It doesn't seem as accurate as my old Taurus 4" model 94, or maybe it's just me. Tell me, is a 3-4" group at 25 yards about what I should expect? As long as I can keep it centered I guess I could make that work. Most of my use for this gun will be casual plinking, clay pigeons (stationary!), cans, etc, with a few varmints (****, skunk, chipmunks) thrown in as required. Oh, btw, the gun comes with 3 front sights of varying heights, but the problem for me seems to be that there's very little daylight on either side of the post. Maybe a wider rear notch is in order. Comments?? Thanks! Tim

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
With ammo it likes, my GSG will cut those average group sizes by about half. Try a number of different brands and styles of .22 ammo...rimfires can show a decided preference for a particular fodder and each is a rule unto itself...what mine prefers, your's may not have a taste for.

As for the sights, Tim...I was pleasantly surprised to find just the proper amount of light for my eyes on either side of the front sight of this GSG...something I find less frequently as my vision continues to age. I often open up the rear notch on a new handgun a bit to accomodate my vision and it's not difficult. Just work slow, keep everything square and parallel, and touch up with a bit of flat black paint or an indelible marker afterward. With the three dot style of the GSG/Sig, you will have to take care to remove equal amounts from both sides of the rear notch...but it won't take much.

Roe

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Roe,
Thanks, now I have something to work towards re: shrinking my groups! I will get out the files and work on that rear sight, too.
Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts