Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Can I use a jacketed 358 caliber bullet for a 357 mag rifle?
back in IHMSA days it was considered a problem, because of the larger diameter & thicker jacket.
some did it, but they had to start low and work up gradually - OAL was somewhat of a problem too.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to keep it sub-sonic 7-8 grains 2400. I have the OAL worked out so that two dummy rounds will cycle through my Henry BBB. Same length as Speer 180fmj.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't need it. It's just the idea of one rifle for Big Bore and Pistol Caliber is appealing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you will ring rams. there are several of us that has tried just about everything to make the 357 mag work on the 200 meters rams. i gave up three years ago and went back to my 30-30. i got two friends that still trying to make it work, but they ring rams. this year they are moving over to the 30-30. you can not lose rams in the match. the 357 mag works great for the chickens, pigs, and turkeys. my pistol cartridge load (158 gr) works great and knocks them hard. i tried 158 gr, 170 gr, and 180 gr bullets with 2400 and h110. nothing but a ram ringer.

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
I did it - you have to be real careful about getting too light a charge. I stuck one in my S&W Mod 19 357mag. I managed to nick the rifling trying to get it out. Another episode split the forcing cone. S&W managed to complete the disaster. They replaced the barrel, free of charge including the shipping, and that new barrel never shot for nothing. (I gave it to Wife #2 when we divorced - good riddance to both of them)

I did have good success with a 228gr Lyman cast bullet. Loaded in a milsurp 38spl case and fired from an 8" Dan Wesson 357mag. No issues and no rung rams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
you will ring rams. there are several of us that has tried just about everything to make the 357 mag work on the 200 meters rams. i gave up three years ago and went back to my 30-30. i got two friends that still trying to make it work, but they ring rams. this year they are moving over to the 30-30. you can not lose rams in the match. the 357 mag works great for the chickens, pigs, and turkeys. my pistol cartridge load (158 gr) works great and knocks them hard. i tried 158 gr, 170 gr, and 180 gr bullets with 2400 and h110. nothing but a ram ringer.
I agree with frankmako, I started shooting 200 yd silhouette with the 30/30 ,150 gr. bullets,then 189 gr. 30/30 and still rang Rams.(Targets set heavy?)
I went to 44mag 240gr,rang less, but still rang some.Now I use a Marlin 444 [email protected] and even heavy set Rams go down.(If I can hit them:banghead: )
A ballistics app I have says that load delivers about 800FP energy at 200Yds. 357 is great for pistol cartridge lever action.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
NOE 360180GC sized to .358 actual weight 185 over A LOT of Lil'Gun in an SRC92 although I don't play games.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
I've never done it myself but guys were using .358 bullets in Ruger Bisleys? Because it had longer cylinder than BH. I think they also used 38sp cases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts