Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are your thoughts on the Sierra 300 grn JSP in the 444 on 200# pigs? The reloading shop was low so I got these. It looks like quite the bullet

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Interesting bullet. It's a bore ride front band and you may find that you can work a longer COL than with other bullets. The lead alloy is very hard for a jacketed bullet. If impact velocities dip below 1650, you may not get expansion. It's one of the toughest bullets I have tested.
I have never tested for accuracy but there are some here who have and they seem to be satisfied with the accuracy.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would like to try them in my 444s but my son ran off with mine. He shoots them in an inline MZ with sabots and 777, deer only not hogs.

BB

·
Registered
726 Posts
The 300 gr sierras are a great bullet however I've only shot them out of my encore and not my lever guns. I've never hunted hogs but I believe they should do I fine job on them.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I've used the Hornady 300g XTP's at velocities between 1700-1800 fps with very good accuracy (recoil isn't bad either). I'm sure that's enough speed/foot lbs. for deer,hogs and bear out to 100yds.
That is a good point. You can design your load for the way you hunt. The XTP will give great terminal performance when impact velocities are under 1700 fps and where some bullets like the Sierra might not be giving you the expansion and terminal performance that you are wanting. The beauty of cartridge like the 444 is it can be loaded to many different levels of power and all can be effective when used purposefully.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I'd say it's an ideal bullet to bust a hog............you won't have to worry about the bullet breaking up on the big critters.

Reactions: JW/OK

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have used this same bullet in .452 dia· in a 45 colt handgun good bullet but jacket comes off.I have shot some good sized hogs even with the jacket coming off bullet exits almost every time.not sure how it will hold up at 2000 fps my loads 1550 fps.I think the hornady 300 gr xtp is a better bullet but the sierra will work fine for your needs.The xtp didn'shoot well in my gun so I stayed with the sierra and never lost any game.

Reactions: biku324

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The alloy of the the 300gr Sierra Sports Master Bullet is comprised of 6% Antimony, 4% tin and 90% lead. That is a hard alloy, harder than wheel weights. I've tested this bullet at least 4 times and the results are consistent. Under 1700fps, the alloy does not upset like an expanding bullet.
So, you can see at 1626 the alloy flattened out but did not expand.
Here is Sierra's own description of the bullet.
.44 CALIBER (.4295) 300 GR. JSP

Designed for hunting, specifically for large bears, and for Handgun Metallic Silhouette competition with magnum calibers, this 300 grain #8630 Jacketed Soft Point bullet was introduced in 1989. Its construction ensures deep penetration on the largest game due to a heavy jacket and extremely hard 6% antimony core. This is one of the heaviest bullets Sierra produces and should be used in a 44 Magnum, 445 Super Mag, or a similar cartridge. It has an established reputation in the game fields of North America and is considered to be the bullet for hunting dangerous game with a handgun. It is not, however, recommended for deer-size game because of its hardness. Because this bullet has a cannelure and can be roll-crimped, it may be loaded in cartridges and used in modern rifles with tubular magazines. (When seated to the cannelure, this bullet will not feed from a 444 Marlin rifle having a tubular magazine.)
They say that it will not open up on deer sized game, but it will from a 444 if impact velocity remains above 1700fps.
The 45 cal version of the bullet is made with the same alloy. I honestly do not know how anybody is going to push that bullet in any 45lc firearm with enough velocity to get it to upset let alone shed it's jacket. The velocity is probably unattainable in a 454 Casul handgun. As far as bullet integrity, the XTP isn't even close in 44 cal. 300gr bullets ( I do not know about 45cal XTP). The XTP bullet will give you great expansion to velocities 1300 fps and below, but will shed it's jacket with impact velocities above 1700fps. The XTP is a great bullet and will pancake a deer at any impact velocity, but it's integrity and depth of penetration are suspect at 444 velocities when used on big game like elk.
I felt compelled to make this addition to this thread because, to be frank, any suggestion that that a 44 cal XTP bullet is tougher than a 300gr Sportmanster would be misinforming any readers who would be left with that impression. I've made my goal to learn and share what I learn about 44 cal bullets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The thing I wonder about the xtp is what about a magnum version like they do with 45 cal? When I talked to JD Jones about the 444, he extolled its performance, and said his bullet of choice was a 300grn xtp magnum. I have never seen any myself, but he was very emphatic that it be a magnum version, and not the regular. Just can't help but wonder "what if"?

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Pop, MG or Ballard? Great shooting, it must have been on one of those rare no wind days in Wyoming :marchmellow:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mt sourdough my 45 colt was built by John Linebaugh on a Ruger Super Redhawk so the loads I use are right up there.I will post a picture of the handgun and the sierra 300gr jsp that I recovered from a 240lb hog the bullet wieghs 229gr without the jacket.This is the only one I have on hand without the jacket but it has happend more than once.The bullet I recovered was from 1996 I don't know If they have changed them at all but it did hit meat and bone.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Konnorman, those are some good pics. Thank you. That is definitely a hard alloy as your pic shows very little remaining evidence of any expansion, but the jacket still slid off. Interesting. I've never seen a jacket just slide off like that. You say this has happened more than once for you. To be honest, when I read your post, I was thinking that you must have it confused with another bullet.
Dog gone it, now I wish I had a 45 cal rifle or handgun for testing purposes. I would like to see how that 45 cal bullet compares to the 44 cal version in my tests. I know the Sierra is a traditional cup and core bullet so I have been suspect. That is why I used the shoulder blade with my last test, to see if I could get the jacket to separate.
That is why I rate the A-frames as the most reliable 44 cal jacketed bullet that I know about. The construction of the A-Frame guarantees both expansion and integrity.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Even with a shed jacket that Sierra is a lot better than an XTP from Hornady. Shot through the same animal an XTP wouldn't weigh anywhere near 240gr. 229gr. is 95% weight retention which is just about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have never recovered a hornady .429 300gr xtp so I can't compare I use to shoot them out of my muzzleloader and took a couple deer with them.I do like the sierra bulet.Now you guys got me thinking,I will have to pick up some .429 sierra 300 gr jsp to try in my 444 marlin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.