Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I found some Sierra 300grn .4295 dia bullets in the old green box with metal edges, and was wondering if they were a good bullet for the 444. They're jacketed flat nose. The fun part is that they have the original pprice on them. $6.99 per 50. I wish stuff was still that cheap. S.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The only way to know for certain is to shoot them, but I think I would put them on the "Nostalgia" shelf and save them... you never know when some collector might give you his Rolls for them. ;D

LUCK

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm thinking you'll find it a really excellent slug in your triple 4

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the Sierra 300grn is a good bullet with one problem for the 444. The crimp groove is in the wrong place for standard 444 brass. You might have luck loading it into a short Hornady case. As I recall, it fit the crimp better. But the Lee crimp die wont crimp it. Because the crimp die is made for standard length brass.

You could probably get Lee to make you a custom Crimp Die for crimping Hornady short brass, I didn't check on that. If you could get one you could load the Hornady 300 in the bottom groove too.

If Sierra would listen to you, I would suggest to call them to see if they can add a second groove correct for the 444, but I doubt they would at this point. They do say right on the box, " handguns bullets" or something like that. So it's not like they don't know.

In a standard length case you can use the Lee crimp die but it tends to distort the bullet shape once you do since it is above the crimp groove. Been there... done that.

Not crimping in a standard case, I think, would be a mistake. I'm pretty sure that the bullet would slip into the case in the magazine even with 100% density, when firing. I didn't try it.

If you find a solution to this dilemma, please write back. The Sierra has the best BC of all the 300 grainers I've looked at and could extend the range of the 444 substantially by holding more energy.

Just my two cents. YMMV

JP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
JP gave you a good tip..I'm lucky that when I load them to within a half hair of totally covering the cannelure then crimping separately with my bullet seater backed out...that they feed fine in my particular gun which luckily besides being a tack driver is also highly unfussy and willing do digest longer than normal loads..even with broad flat fronted hard core cast thumpers,...hope you find yourself as lucky as I am...Love my triple 4!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your lucky Calvin, when I load the 330grn BTB bulllits they have to be backed in fairly far or they hang up. They shoot well, but the big jacket bullets definitly feed better.
JP I was wondering if they were handgun bullets. These are in the old green box and I didn't see anything on there about being handgun bullets. What I was hoping was they were introduced for use in the 444. I figured that any info Sierra had would be for the newer version, if there is one. S.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Just try them and see how they load. Then let us know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
MT101 I have a plastic box and the label reads " For Handguns Only" "50 Pistol Bullets" If it isn't on your box I imagine that it's old stock and Sierra felt the need to disabuse .44 caliber rifle shooters from trying to use the bullet in their leverguns and then calling up to complain, about crimp or length difficulties, and that may have been for more than one reason.

I have a friend with a Ruger Blackhawk 44mag and I load a few rounds for him occasionally when he is going pig hunting. He likes them so I suspect they work in that venue.

Don't let me talk you out of trying them. That wasn't my purpose, just to save you a little time going over the same ground. If you can get them to work, I'd like to know how you did it. As I said, they have the best BC of any 300grn bullet I know of. I suspect they are a bit soft but hey at 100 yards+, that might be okay after all a 300 grain bullet is a good chunk of lead.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've never tried those 330's...I have gone up to the 310's but really never thought the tradeoff of 20grains extra lead was worth the loss of speed due to just what you said..they do need to be planted purdy deep eating up a goodly chunk of powder space..if a 310 @ 2000fps wont stop it ..I'll probably throw the empty gun at it :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts