Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better get these up while I've got time. Left the action open and gave her 3-4 minutes between rounds. After the first three sets I got out the 336y so it got a cool down before the second set of two different charges. Really surprised me how it opened up with the 48.3 and 48.5 considering how well the 48.5 did on ES and STD DE. I checked scope rings and mount. Went back the next weekend with some 48.1's and it looked like target #3. Comments and opinions most welcome. I'm still a newby at this compared to most of you good folk, but I'm wearin' that 444 grin! Saving my RL7 for the 265 fp's and then I'll get a Skinner set for it. Dropped some coin for a Burris 2x7x32 Scout and wouldn't trade it for anything. These are all at 50 yds. Shot off of a table with firmly folded bath towels, nothing fancy.
[/URL]

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
That 48.1gr load looks like a sweet spot, obviously.
So, are you curious how .2gr makes such a substantial difference? Be careful about asking yourself too many questions, you'll fall down the rabbit hole and :marchmellow::marchmellow::marchmellow:. Nobody warned me. Sometimes, the front cap or screw at the front of mag is too tight or too lose can cause a similar issue, but there are many variables that could be at play.
Anyways, you're at least a grain from max. I do not know if you want/need to go any further. With a hollow point bullet, more velocity may not be desirable unless you expect to shoot at further distances. Looks to me like you found a dandy deer load if that Speer is the Deep Curl bullet, your in the money. The hollow point might be added meat damage, so lung shots are probably best.
That's my extremely inflated two cents worth.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
groups open & close due to barrel vibration nodes. you are showing an example of that. good shootin'! 48.1gr would be my load in your 444
+1 on 48.1 grains.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bet if you set it at 48.0 and allow +/- 0.1 you'll do fine. Except for the #3 shot flyer I don't see anything wrong with the 47.9 group. You'd have to shoot more than three to tell what it's really going to do.

Reactions: john yushta

·
Registered
492 Posts
That rifle is talking sweet to you. That is a classic 444 clover leaf group. I wouldn't touch the load, the powder, the dies, the primer, and what I was wearing when I loaded that ammo, lol!!! Congrats.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
looks like you got your groove goin' on

Reactions: john yushta

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This target dated on 7 Sept 14.#1 2237mv #2 2211mv #3 2200mv #4 2200mv. Thanks for the constructive comments from everyone. Hoping for time to get the 265 fp's dailed in also, worked everyday since the 12th. This Sierra bullet would be best for lung shots I'm sure. This bullet is also intended to be a 'play' round for the kids and bolt guys at work who don't know what a big bore lever can do. This Marlin should be shared. Lookin' forward to November and some time off!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts