Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i'll tell you that this was one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me hunting.

I saw this squirrel about 40-50 yards away up on the trees. I took a shot but missed. The squirrel didn't even know I was there and it kept cutting and moving arround the trees. It jumped from tree to tree as i followed it with my red dot trying to get a head shot, with all the leaves still on the trees, it's hard to get a clear shot.
After about 4-5 minutes he was right on top of me. by this time I was a little dizzy from looking straight up. Finally he offered a shot and I was happy to take it. He got the .22 from my mod 60 right in the throat. It look so cool that I kept watchig though the scope. I saw how he started coming down. He held to the branch with his right hand (or is it foot) and hung for about 4 seconds. Then he let go and came stright down. I saw how he kept getting bigger and bigger as he got closer to the ground by the time I realized i might be between him and the ground, he was within a foot or two of the mod 60's muzzle. As I moved the rifle away from my face I jumped out of the way. the squirrel missed my face by 6 inches. and I heard the loud thump next to my foot. My friend was litterally rolling on the floor laughin his @$$ off. it was funny.

anyway, this was the sick squirrel that almost got his revenge after dead.
The squirrel had a big (for a squirrel) bump in it's back and one in the chest.

You can see it in the middle of the back.
before squeezing

I squeezed the one in the back and a black thing came out. No picture. my friend shot it before I could take a picture. He was affraid it would grwo into a man eating mounster.

my question is: What was it in the squirrel? a hprse fly or something like that?

after squeezing.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Deer or Lyme tick possibly. I had one on the back of my neck for almost a year. My daughter found it and dug it out. Here I thought I had grown a mole on my skin...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
485 Posts
:shock: that would be a bott fly do a search there ugly old timers callem wolves or warbels they lay a egg that hatches out then diggs out glad we dont have the kind that will bite us here cause they have them in south america i think mike243 :)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
In this area of Va. the wolves are bad in early season due to the warm weather. Later on when things cool down good the problem goes away.
`57 Mountie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happens to them?

What happens to squirrels that get this?

Do they die or do they survive?

Is it safe to eat the squirres after the wolves are out?

·
Registered
688 Posts
`57 Golden 39A Mountie said:
In this area of Va. the wolves are bad in early season due to the warm weather. Later on when things cool down good the problem goes away.
`57 Mountie
Over on this side of the mountain, too.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Re: What happens to them?

rusty25 said:
What happens to squirrels that get this?

Do they die or do they survive?

Is it safe to eat the squirres after the wolves are out?
Most all the squirrels survive wolves and the squirrels are safe to eat when the wolves are gone. Wolves are a larva state of an insect and live on the body fluids under the shin of the squirrel until it`s time to come out. After the wolves emerge the place heals on the squirrels skin. Thats what I was told anyway but I`m not a "insectologist" (new word) either.
`57 Mountie

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wolves are why we here in GA never, ever kill or eat a rabbit before the first frost. Something happens during the frost that will either rid the animal of the wolves or kill them off. Either way I've stuck to the old saying. This is the first time I've ever seen one in a squirrel though.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It won't kill you to eat a squirrel that has wolves, warbles, bott flies etc. but I imagine it would be kind a icky to say the least. The first frost seems to kill them off.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Frost realy has little to do with it,but most bott fly larve mature by the last of Sept.(Va.)They emerge as a grub looking worm,drop off their host animal and burrow into the ground where they pupate and later become another bott fly.If I take more than one or two squirrels in Sept. infested with the discusting little SOBs I will postpone my much loved squirrel hunting until mid OCT.I'v never seen one on a squirrel after the early duck season(Oct.5-8 this year in Va.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
i have taken squirrels in wisconsin and illinois with wolves(bots, warbles)
in them. though the lump is ugly and the larvae is gross, it seems that most squirrels survive the experience. the squirrel never seems sick and is always doing something completely natural.(just like yours)

it is true that usually by late september they seem to disappear. in years past the illinois season on squirrels ran from aug. 1 to oct. 15 and there were no days of squirrel hunting on frosty mornings or even with the leaves down. on the whole, i think very few squirrels end up as hosts to the parasite. they may be more prevalant around pastures. in all my squirrel hunting years(over 40) i may have found a dozen or so that were infested with the parasite. that's out of a great many squirrels taken.

when i find an infested squirrel, i chuck them. whether it is good to eat or not makes no differance to me. the percentage of infested squirrels seems to be really low normally but may go up in specific areas.

was this squirrel taken near a pasture that is grazed by any type of stock? just curious.

there are many people who hunt squirrels that never heard of wolves, bots or warbles. you have witnessed a fact of life. in some cases a parasite kills its host and in other cases they are just an annoyance. i think that wolves are, most of the times ,just an annoyance for squirrels.

luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
bugs

Squacks is right

I use to live in Ottawa, Illinois and grew up there as a boy. I killed hundreds of squirrels with my Marlin model 60 with a Weaver scope. I had access to hundreds of acres of hardwoods and knew all the feeding locations, which were mostly hickory nut trees. I ate all of them no matter what was wrong with them. But I would have to say none of them were rabid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts