Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I would like to see some also.

Unfortunately I am not rich enough to buy one of my own. The closes that I might get, is if I ever make my 97-39A hi-breed into one.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Another I've never heard of....but I'm looking forward to seeing a few!

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I have some picture's of some on my computer, at home. I could put them on here if you like, later tonight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Winchester had a musket too, can anyone tell me what was the use of the extra long forend?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looked all around my safes Mike, and still no Marlin muskets! ;)
Hey, Vall! Don't you hate when wishes fail to come true?

Fifty years ago, I found the blade - with tang and german silver cross guard, marked "Samuel C. Wraggs Celebrated Dirk Knife Sheffield" with an eagle engraved on the blade holding a banner reading "General Taylor Never Surrenders" in a box of trash in apartment I was helping my father replumb. It was pretty tired, but I wound up trading it at a meeting of the New Jersey Arms Collectors Club for 2/3rds of one of the Bureau County Model 1894 muskets. The barrel had been shortened (professionally) to 20 inches and the forearm a little more. The magazine tube, spring and follower all got lost somewhere, and a front sight had never been fitted. The rear swivel was also missing. Back in those days before The Flood, the original Shotgun News was about the only place to find collector stuff; I spent more than a year reading every classified in the rag, hoping to find parts to restore the musket. I also spent a fair piece of change advertising in the "Wanted" section but never found anything. Eventually I traded the partial gun off for a whole bunch of dies, a big Herter press, and whatnot.

At this point in time, I think I should have kept the Celebrated Dirk Knife!

One of these days, I'm going to get me a copy of Brophy's book, just for old times' sake. Wish it had been available back then...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Here's one, not mine just goggled it
View attachment 99563 View attachment 99564
Lookin' at it, might be a fun winter project if a beat up '93 was available. Looks like a 26-28" barrel and with the forend and a 38-55 chambering, should be a great offhand range rifle and conversation starter (I find you meet the nicest folks at a shooting range!)

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
Here are the pictures that I have. And here is a 1889. Gun Gun barrel
Here is a 1894. Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun

And here is an ad that might be as rare as the Musket. Outside Text Font Paper
Inside
Left click to enlarge.

The 1889,1894's were 30", the 1893's were 24".

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Schtoolee, looks like the Model 1893 was also available with the 30" barrel as shown in the photo you posted earlier. Wonder if the gun shown in the ad cut with a shorter barrel was just an artist's rendering?.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
I think the ad is from around 1915, maybe the desided to make 24" barrels to try a get a few more sold. The ad did say 24", but as you say, and as I originally thought, that they were all 30's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The bayonet in the ad would be a good find, anyone know if they are Marlin specific. Looks a bit like a Krag bayonet.

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
Probably found a stack of them at the Surplus store, for .25 each.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.