Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a board to mount a Tipton Best Gun Vise on.

I'd like to use wood stain or maybe clear polyurethane to coat the board.

BUT....I am concerned about the barrel/gun cleaning/copper out/lead out solvents dissolving the wood stain, thus making a big mess.

Would Rustoleum paint be better...or worse?

Or should I just leave the mounting board "au natural"?

Have any of you ever tried this?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I would leave it as. Sooner or later it will get dinged, stained, etc.

If you are going to use it in the garage, shop, etc., make the base about 6" longer and bore a large hole so you can hang it up on the wall. It will be out of the way and secure from damage. Might even leave it a bit longer on the opposite end to securely clamp it to the work surface.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If you Use Solvent Based Spar Urethane Varnish, Over the Stain.
It Should be Imperviuos to Most Solvents, When Dry.
To Make Sure It's Totally Dry & Fully Cured, Put it In the Oven & Bake It on Low Heat for an Hour or So.
Another Thing that Works Even Better is to Coat it w/ 2 Part Epoxy.
Should be able to get it at an Auto Body Paint Shop. The 2 Part Epoxy Resin used for Auto Body Repairs.
UncleSarge58

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made the board 8 inches longer on both ends than the Tipton best Gun Vise is. And 1-3/4" wider on both sides. I also sanded both sides a tad and sanded all the edges & corners rounded & smooth to avoid splinters.

I also made three 2x4 the same width as mtg board that will screw to the bottom of the board. This to help keep the 1x12 from warping with age.

Unsure if I want to make a shelf above , or below, the work bench to put the Gun Vise on or hang it on the wall as you suggest. Need to finish the room first to actually decide.

FWIW......I also found that conduit retaining clamps redrilled , on each of the four #10 machine screws I use to mount the vise to the board makes a very nice holder for the long one piece bore cleaning rod.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might try the solvent based Spar Urethane Varnish over a stain on a scrap piece of wood as an "experiment" first. I am hoping to use stain and clear to "bring out the wood".......

Kinda hard to find the old style *real 2 part epoxy* these days. It was impervious to about *anything*.

Seems Big Brother EPA has made it a lot more scarce than it used to be..... I'll check with my auto body friend. Thanks for the suggestions unclesarge58

If you Use Solvent Based Spar Urethane Varnish, Over the Stain.
It Should be Imperviuos to Most Solvents, When Dry.
To Make Sure It's Totally Dry & Fully Cured, Put it In the Oven & Bake It on Low Heat for an Hour or So.
Another Thing that Works Even Better is to Coat it w/ 2 Part Epoxy.
Should be able to get it at an Auto Body Paint Shop. The 2 Part Epoxy Resin used for Auto Body Repairs.
UncleSarge58

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
getting ready to "test" the stain + polyurethane clear coat on a scrap piece of new , pine 2x4. I'll report my findings/results after it dries and I try a few gun cleaning products on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts