Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 45-70 Owners…
I’m the proud owner of a 1895 SBL…Thanks for all the Great 45-70 info!!!

I went to pick up my Hunting License and the Sales Guy talked me into buying a box…
Has anyone used this Ammo? Should I?

running1031_zps46285ab8.jpg

Thanks for Reading

K.C.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Prvi Partizan Ammunition

Multiply the velocity shown by 3.28084. Their ballistics are in meters per second.

At 1,329fps it is pretty close to the factory Rem 405SJFP load. Looks like a pretty decent round and will certainly suffice for all game that won't eat you back.

Reactions: erimort and DWB

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I used the PPU in 30-30, 45-70 and 30-06. I find it is not really accurate in my 30-30 and kinda mediocre in my 45-70 and in my 30-06 I once had but it could be good in yours.

Reactions: RamCharger

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Quick response ..Everyone.

I wish I had a better shot of the casing , but, the sales guy said that they anneal the cartridge??
Why would they do that?
I’m glad to hear they won’t hurt my new Rifle. (30 bucks a box)
Thanks again …

K.C.

running1035_zps16262a1c.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
PPU is good brass. I weight sorted some a while back for a 308 and was able to get some pretty tight groups out of it. This was annealed also maybe they do it to all their brass?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If your gonna use good money to buy cheap ammo, PPU is the way to go.
I bought 500 rounds form my Nagant PU, and they reloaded better than they shot new.

Everyone that has a 45/70 should get a Lee Classic Loader, and make your own, just like the troopers did 150 years ago.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Any factory ammo is good for acquiring brass to be reloaded. I still have a bunch of Hornady 350 JFP in 450 Marlin, other than that all of my ammo is reloaded. The investment for a single caliber is not always worth it if you don't shoot much. Once you starting multiple calibers, it makes more sense to reload. A bit tough to get certain bullets right now, but that will improve.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
i just bought a old savage 340 22 hornet. i am a life long handloader, i needed brass but could not find any so i bought 2 boxes of ppu factory for the brass. i zeroed in with ppu and then shot some groups. they will cut the same hole every time! i tried my handloads, a dime can cover 3 shots but i have not loaded anything yet that will out shoot the ppu. the first time i can ever remember factory loads doing better than my handloads. yes i would say the ppu ammo is good!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes you can use the ammo. I ordered 500 rounds of exact that ammo for my SBL today. As mentioned above, you get good brass from that ammo too.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Tried it multiple times in my Remlin 30-30.....compared against Rem, Win....case swells after firing and difficult for me to extract.....happens only with PPU in my gun.....wish it didn't.....

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I bought a 9.3x62 a few weeks back. PPU was the only brass I could find in stock at a reasonable price. Guys on another forum advised to go for it as the brass and ammo were fine. We will see.

Reactions: leverlad and rlm1

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
the reason for them annealing the cases is to soften them thereby aiding in the sealing of the chamber upon firing. I've used PPU for a 6.5 carcano, a 7.65 mauser, and of all things a 32-20. all were annealed.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
KC

Welcome to the forum.
Heck I'd shoot that ammo & see how it does.
Whatever you do save the brass for future reloading.
I'd like to hear how it does at the range for you.
Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts