Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm invited to hunt tomorrow. It'll be unknown territory for me. My friends say I need to take my Scoped XCR Rem 700 in 30 06, since the shots would be between 100 and 200 yards. I want to take my 1894 with Skinner peep sight with me, just because I love it and is lighter and easier to handle up and down the hills. I also can go to the range this afternoon, scope the 1894 in a hurry and zero it at 150 m and see how it goes.
There will be rain and wind and the game is big-fat-wild-hog.
What do you think?

K

PS: You see?, now I need that 336 fast! ::)

·
Super Moderator
12,195 Posts
I'd say just take whatever you feel confident shooting at those ranges. I have several rifles with peeps on them but seldom get a shot beyond 100 yards anyway.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nomaly I would say take the 44 mag. but if it were me and with short time to get ready I would take the 06 if it's ready to go. If you got a 200 yrd. shot you might want to take the 06 any way.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Well, to me, the 44 mag carbine is a 150 yard gun so it might be limiting. I'd say take both, and make the decision when you get there and see for yourself the terrain you'll be hunting.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think the .44 is going to cut it on a 200 yard shot, take the '06.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
As much as I love my 44 mag I wouldn't try hog shots at 200 yards with it. I say that because I've become comfortable with it at 50 & 100 yards, haven't tried anything further. Good luck with either choice and have a great time! I don't believe I would ever turn down a hog hunt.

Good for ya K,

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the comments.
Problem is solved. I called the owner of the farm where we will be hunting tomorrow and he told me my other friends were wrong. It is well within 100 yds, he said, so the 44 Magnum is in order. :D
He also said I should take my shotgun and a other small game gun, so I'm taking my Single Six with me. Seems like I gonna have fun tomorrow. ;D

Cheers

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Shoot straight Ole Mate. :)

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Any day you get to burn powder is a good day, regardless of what happens before or after. Have a great time, and don't forget a camera, in case you get a chance to blast Uncle Fugly! :D

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went and came back. In general terms, it was quite a lousy hunting morning today. Everything went in the wrong direction. First, we were a party of six but three showed up one hour later than agreed. Then, the weather forecast was windy and rainy, which meant great conditions for this hunt. Well, when we finally got to the farm the sun was up and shinning, not a breeze. A perfect day for hiking not for hunting. Only pigs we saw were a group of three across a 200-meter canyon, that is about 220 yards. I decided to take a shot at them with my 1894 44 Magnum with Skinner peep. I aimed 2' over the point of impact and shot the gun. The center pig drop dead inmediatly, a big red stain in the rock behind ... and inmediatly also went down the cliff to get lost in the water below ???. After that, we all decided just to enjoy the sun, the view and a good chat, wasn't meant to be a day for hunting.
Good news is now I know I can use my 1894 for shots over 150 yards 8) yes sir!.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I'm glad you took my advice to shoot straight. ;D Last week I knocked down two steel rams at 200 meters with my .44, the load was 240gn swc and 8gns of Unique. What was your load for that long shot?

Mark.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oz said:
I'm glad you took my advice to shoot straight. ;D Last week I knocked down two steel rams at 200 meters with my .44, the load was 240gn swc and 8gns of Unique. What was your load for that long shot?

Mark.
Yes, sure did. I even had you in mind when aiming ;D.
I used Remington Core Lokt 275 Gr JHP.

K

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Kaweskar said:
Well, I went and came back. In general terms, it was quite a lousy hunting morning today. Everything went in the wrong direction. First, we were a party of six but three showed up one hour later than agreed. Then, the weather forecast was windy and rainy, which meant great conditions for this hunt. Well, when we finally got to the farm the sun was up and shinning, not a breeze. A perfect day for hiking not for hunting. Only pigs we saw were a group of three across a 200-meter canyon, that is about 220 yards. I decided to take a shot at them with my 1894 44 Magnum with Skinner peep. I aimed 2' over the point of impact and shot the gun. The center pig drop dead inmediatly, a big red stain in the rock behind ... and inmediatly also went down the cliff to get lost in the water below ???. After that, we all decided just to enjoy the sun, the view and a good chat, wasn't meant to be a day for hunting.
Good news is now I know I can use my 1894 for shots over 150 yards 8) yes sir!.

Cheers
Helluva shot----

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Kaweskar said:
I even had you in mind when aiming ;D.
Wait - You were looking at an ugly brute of a pig, and then thought of Mark? I'm sure there's some kind of connection there, but I'd hate to speculate. :D

Come to think of it, the fact that you thought of Mark, and still hit the pig, tells me you are focused. Talk about concentration! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
The problem with you folks saying you can't shoot a .44Mag 200 yards is YOU NEVER TRIED!!! I hit the 200Meter (219 yards) gong at the range Friday 5 out of 7 shots and I aimed at the top of the gong that is only 18 inches wide. That gong flew back and up about two feet with the impact of that 240gr FMJ Fiocchi round. See my post in this forum 1894SS .44 Magnum - Hitting The Gong at 200 Yards: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,94323.0.html

Yes, the .44Mag drops off -11.6" at 200 yards but like Kaweskar aimed at the hog I aimed at the 18" plate at the top of the plate instead of dead center or about 9" high. That gong sounded off just as loud as when my .308Win hits it.

Cartridge ([email protected]) Bullet BC 100 yds. 200 yds. [email protected] MPBR (yds.)
.30-30 Win. (160 Evo at 2400) .330 +2.9" -0.2" 3"@110 232
.30-06 (165 Sp at 2800) .410 +2.7" +1.7" 3"@135 273
44 Rem. Mag. (240 FP at 1760) .165 +2.6" -11.6" 3"@75 159

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well the 44mag and 44-40 . like the 30-30 can do way more than most give them credit for..

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Golfbuddy45,

Not to speak badly, but if you can only hit 18" gong 5 out of 7 times, then in my humble opinion it would be unethical to shoot at game at that range.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Tatersoup said:
Golfbuddy45,

Not to speak badly, but if you can only hit 18" gong 5 out of 7 times, then in my humble opinion it would be unethical to shoot at game at that range.
I agree Tater, we all have different standards for taking game. Mine is similar to yours in that whatever distance, wind condition & temperature I am shooting at; I need to KNOW that I can hit it with 100% accuracy, even if I can add another 50 yds in good conditions some of the time. Now I have probably missed some game for my freezer, but thems my standards.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts