Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here! I've got several marlins but didn't even know about this forum til I started looking around for the answer to this question.

I just found and bought a mint condition Marlin 1894 Cowboy Carbine "Limited" 41 Magnum lever action rifle. It came with the original box and all the papers including a letter from Marlin. They were only made in 1999 and only 1001 were made. This one looks like it had never been shot. There aren't even any marks on the bolt face. If there wasn't carbon in the oil in the chamber I'd think it had never been out of the box.

The letter says the rifle has, "a 20" tapered octagon barrel, full length magazine tube, straight grip walnut stock and fore-arm with adjustable marble semi-buckhorn rear and marble carbine front sights". It also uses Ballard rifling and puts the serial number on the side of the receiver instead of the tang.

Now my question. Questions, actually. I've gotten varying advice on this rifle. I bought it because I've been wanting a lever action rifle in 41 magnum for over a year and this is the first one I ran across locally. But since it's "limited edition" several people have recommended I not shoot it at all. Others have said it isn't rare enough to be that big a deal and just treat it like any other rifle. Should I shoot this gun or not?

If I'm going to shoot it should I put a tang sight on it? I've never used a tang sight before but they look interesting but I don't know if the ballistics of this cartridge make it worth adding a tang sight. Or even a receiver mounted peep sight for that matter. Would a tang or peep sight be worth using on a rifle in this chambering? And if it does, should I put one on THIS rifle?

Here's a few pics.

·
Registered
422 Posts
No doubt that your rifle is collectible, anything 41 mag is somewhat scarce. If you decide to shoot it, it probably wouldn't hurt much and the gun will still hold value. However, I wouldn't alter the gun by drilling and tapping for the receiver sight if that's what you are thinking of doing. I'd put on a peep that didn't alter the rifles such as the top mount Williams or XS type sight.

G

·
I'm gonna put a Lyman tang on mine :wink: I also have a Lyman tang on my 1894CCL in 32-20 and quite a few others . This sight can be installed with no alterations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't do anything with the sights. If your going to call it a collectors item, how is changing sights going to help that? If your going to shoot it, the buckhorn sights it came with will be just fine. Personally, I'd shoot the heck out of it. Most collectors items I've seen are damn near shot out anyway, and their still collectors items.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check for drilled and tapped holes in the receiver "as issued". There are usually four on top, and in the earlier models, an additional two on the left side. They have filler screws in them which serve no other purpose than to maintain the aesthetics of the rifle. Don't drill your receiver! There are several sights and mounts available which use the existing holes.

If you decide to mount a receiver sight, save all of the original parts (including the "teensy" filler screws) in a container or envelope with the original box. If you sell your rifle, all of the parts are available to restore it to its original condition.

Jim H

·
Registered
311 Posts
EJ67,
I have the same rifle in 41 Maggie. I put a scope on it for load development. My rifle does not have Ballard rifling (12 grooves) but shoots lead .411 bullets just fine. This gun has excellent balance and the slim forend is conducive to good offhand shooting (at least for me). I simply replaced the filler screws in the receiver after removing the scope mounts. Good luck with your new toy!
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Don't shoot it.

Send it to me and let me shoot it. :D :D :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
its a personal decision. The guns I buy are for shooting. I collect other things if I want to just let them sit around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd shoot it. You can put it away, not touch it, and in 10-15yrs it might be worth an additional 2-300 bucks. Or, shoot it now and enjoy the hell out of it! Being a limited edition, you'll lose little, if any of its current value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts