Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a bob cat has been hanging around, my dog had it pinned down behind the shed in april took off before I could get gun in hand:(. last week my wife said it was on our deck around 1 am screeching (it took off when she turned the lights) . yesterday my friends wife seen it around 1pm. to day my wife seen it about 4pm(it didnt look good) wondering if its rabid or mange. I got young ones and a dog, here in commie nys season is closed:hmmmm: never accounted bobcats in the day time. thinking about leaving wife good old 44mag (marlin of course ) :biggrin:.any input would help

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
a bob cat has been hanging around, my dog had it pinned down behind the shed in april took off before I could get gun in hand:(. last week my wife said it was on our deck around 1 am screeching (it took off when she turned the lights) . yesterday my friends wife seen it around 1pm. to day my wife seen it about 4pm(it didnt look good) wondering if its rabid or mange. I got young ones and a dog, here in commie nys season is closed:hmmmm: never accounted bobcats in the day time. thinking about leaving wife good old 44mag (marlin of course ) :biggrin:.any input would help
Use the SSS system- Shoot, Shovel, Shut up

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I'd report it to the Game Commission pronto. If you call you tell them what you posted, you have young ones, a dog, and the cat posses a THREAT to your family.

Personally, I'd be very careful of shooting anything around a residential area in ANY state. That could land you in jail. Being that you are in NY State, your family might not ever see you again.

Mike T.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
In my area I could shoot it a bury it,no problem.But in a residential area ,you may have police troubles.Can you just trap it and get rid of it?My dad used trap the ***** and possums that ate his garden veg.Then he would drive to a wooded area and release them.

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
It very well could be rabid as they are not going to normally come out in the day time or get to close to people. It could also be that people have been feeding it and that would cause they same type of behavior you are describing. If it is rabid it would not live long so if this has been over a longer time I would say not so. Either way rabid or fed it could be a danger.
May be a good idea to report it and maybe they tell you what you can do to protect your family.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
If you decide to terminate it, I recommend the most quiet caliber you have, even though you live in Farm Country.

Reactions: kimber

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will use a # 2 trap since I have an idea where its den. choose 1, let conservation dept know of my intentions. choose 2, SSS. either way its a hazard to my family. THANKS GUYS

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I think I will use a # 2 trap since I have an idea where its den. choose 1, let conservation dept know of my intentions. choose 2, SSS. either way its a hazard to my family. THANKS GUYS
Regardless of the outcome of choice #1, I would personally prefer being tried by 12 than a member of my family being carried by 6.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks etexoldguy, but I am down state(working) can't trap or shoot the fu**er till the week end. my kids and dog run free, should I call conservation ? I know my buddys will look out but if rabid I don't want to take chances. my hands are tied

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
thanks etexoldguy, but I am down state(working) can't trap or shoot the fu**er till the week end. my kids and dog run free, should I call conservation ? I know my buddys will look out but if rabid I don't want to take chances. my hands are tied
Call whoever you need to call and alert them to the situation. Don't panic, you said your wife can shoot as well as you. Just tell her not to hesitate to draw down on it if she has the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Call your Local/ Nearest Town's "Animal Control Dept./Officer" & File A Formal Complaint/Report.
That's Their Job (Control Stray and/or Pest Animals) & What Your Tax Dollars Pay for.
Call Right Away & Let Them Deal With It.
If they Don't Respond & the Problem Persists, Then SSS.
Out Here where I Live, We just "Choot 'Em" On Sight.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
513 Posts
Know the law before you do anything. This bobcat killed and ate my pet cat last July. Live trapping was the only way I could legally take it. All that remained was a humane high velocity pellet to the forehead.

image.jpg

Reactions: Pereira and kimber

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The three S's get my vote.

·
Registered
910 Posts
killed a rabid skunk that was trying to climb up the tire of a 4020 john deere to get at the farmer used a shovel to kill it and carry it. do not touch or handle it in any way they say those shots hurt

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Seeing bobcat's in the daytime isn't indicative to if they have rabies. It's condition could just be from old age or an injury, leading to malnutrition. Still, a nuisance animal is that and need's to be dealt with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts