Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lead on a 1890-1899 manuf'd. Marlin Model 1889 in .44-40, S/N 106xxx, for about $500-$600. I have 'till 11-11-2013 to make a commitment.

My wife got to like shooting my Marlin .45-70 w/light target loads. She is now totally bored with the Henry Golden Boy 22LR [ 2012 Xmas present!] as it: "...sounds like a pellet gun & can't see the holes." For us both to shoot, sharing my lever is not really convenient. So, I found the above .44-40 very old rifle that I think will fill her desire to feel some recoil & see the holes.

I'm pretty sure it's not a collectible piece, as the finish is 90+% gone, and barrel condition is 'fair', really quite unknown as it is a Black Powder lever gun from way back. To make it 'handsome' & presentable again, I'm picturing it Nickle plated for Xmas 2013.

Pls. advise pro's & con's regarding functionality when plated, and where I might have the plating accomplished if decide to do it. I'm casting boolits now & am not afraid of getting custom mould made for this relic, however I know nothing of the actual bore condition nor dimensions. Is it possible a custom cast lead boolit will be too big to chamber [as one has suggested]? ---OR

should I just forget all this & try buying a Henry Big Boy in 45LC or .44 Rem Mag?

Thanks for watching & pls. PM me with responses posted.

Wally

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't comment on the functionality aspects of having it nickle plated, but if it was me I'd either leave it be or maybe restore it to close to original condition. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
I can't comment on the older Marlin, really, it would be great to have, but if you want a shooter, for that money you can find a used marlin in 44mag, you could load it with either the mags or the spl's....espcially if you reload, very easy cartridge to deal with and readily available.

·
Premium Member
14,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I would agree with the others here.Get a more modern rifle to shoot.An antique even worn, should be either left as is or recondtioned as original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts