Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 39D a year or so ago and it has some light rust and the stock was very dry. I didn't have time to deal with it so I greased up the metal and put several coats of furniture oil on the wood. Looks some better but...

I am thinking about paying someone to clean up and refinish the metal to original and maybe putting a much higher grade of wood on the gun to original dimensions just because I really like the gun and want to keep it. Am I crazy? Should I do something else to the gun? What should I be thinking about that I'm not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
What do you mean by saying the stock is very dry? Pulling away from the receiver? Wood to metal gaps? That original stock is pretty nice, I have a 39D sitting in the cave and would not replace the stock for anything. If there is some light rust, a little judicious work can square that away.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd start by asking what you might consider as a budget you'd spend on it? Because upper grade wood fitted to a gun can run $1,000 alone. Even if you don't go much higher than std. grade it will likely run more than the gun's value after fitting and buying good blanks. Add polishing the metal and prepping for a correct blue, and you could add another $500 to that. Is the gun worth that, or would you be better off selling it, and just putting some more money with that to buy one that's much nicer?
For something available like a 39D I'd sell and buy a nice one. Money better spent.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
How about some pictures of the wood/metal?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd start by asking what you might consider as a budget you'd spend on it? Because upper grade wood fitted to a gun can run $1,000 alone. Even if you don't go much higher than std. grade it will likely run more than the gun's value after fitting and buying good blanks. Add polishing the metal and prepping for a correct blue, and you could add another $500 to that. Is the gun worth that, or would you be better off selling it, and just putting some more money with that to buy one that's much nicer?
For something available like a 39D I'd sell and buy a nice one. Money better spent.
Thanks for responding. I've thought about the wood replacement because I'm a trap shooter among other things and trap shooters are about wood like blonde women are to shiny things. You were of course right to warn me about cost because most people don't know what stuff like this costs to accomplish. I had estimated that I would end up with $2,000.00 in the rifle if I did everything to it I was thinking about. I also knew very little of that would be recoverable if I later wanted to sell the gun.

What I was worried about was if I was doing the wrong thing by taking a fairly rare derivation and destroying it for any later Marlin enthusiast once I was gone. Some people are indicating that they are fairly common which is different than what I thought. If they are reasonably common, I will probably do what I want and just not worry about it. I may even have it engraved and gold inlayed before refinishing. I had that done to a Colt Python and I have never been sorry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean by saying the stock is very dry? Pulling away from the receiver? Wood to metal gaps? That original stock is pretty nice, I have a 39D sitting in the cave and would not replace the stock for anything. If there is some light rust, a little judicious work can square that away.
The fit was still OK (not perfect) but the wood was so dry it was fragile. I had never seen anything like it before. Once I used the furniture oil on it, it came back after a couple of weeks and several repeat rubbings.

I need to do something, but, like always, there just doesn't seem to be time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about some pictures of the wood/metal?
Pictures are tough since I don't own a camera that connects to my computer. I would have to borrow one and have someone get the photos from the camera to my computer.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
try saturating some 4 ought steel wool in rem oil and lightly polishing off the rust .they are nice 39s .its raining here ,so I just got my 39 carbine out, opend front door and shot at a stump 200 yds away in my pond in front yard ..

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for responding. I've thought about the wood replacement because I'm a trap shooter among other things and trap shooters are about wood like blonde women are to shiny things. You were of course right to warn me about cost because most people don't know what stuff like this costs to accomplish. I had estimated that I would end up with $2,000.00 in the rifle if I did everything to it I was thinking about. I also knew very little of that would be recoverable if I later wanted to sell the gun.

What I was worried about was if I was doing the wrong thing by taking a fairly rare derivation and destroying it for any later Marlin enthusiast once I was gone. Some people are indicating that they are fairly common which is different than what I thought. If they are reasonably common, I will probably do what I want and just not worry about it. I may even have it engraved and gold inlayed before refinishing. I had that done to a Colt Python and I have never been sorry.

Are you aware that there are two variations of the 39D? One with the white spacer on the pistol grip and butt plate and one without. The one without is the more scarce variant. Which is yours?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
My data shows that between 1969 and 1973 there were over 27,000 39D's made. So not exactly rare. That's almost the same as all the Marlin Ballards built between 1875-1890. They're not hard to find.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
try saturating some 4 ought steel wool in rem oil and lightly polishing off the rust .they are nice 39s .its raining here ,so I just got my 39 carbine out, opend front door and shot at a stump 200 yds away in my pond in front yard ..
Bronze or brass wool works better than steel wool for removing light rust. I still use oil on it while rubbing the rust off. It is by far more forgiving when working near the sharp edges on rubbing the bluing thin like can happen with the 0000 steel wool. I think I got mine from Brownell's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you aware that there are two variations of the 39D? One with the white spacer on the pistol grip and butt plate and one without. The one without is the more scarce variant. Which is yours?
I have two. One with and one without. Personally, I like the one with the spacer better. The other one looks unfinished to me.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have two. One with and one without. Personally, I like the one with the spacer better. The other one looks unfinished to me.
That is awesome that you have both. I am jealous.:p I do agree with your liking the looks of the 39D with the spacers better. I had one with the spacers and sold it recently (stupid,stupid,stupid :banghead:) Like you, I felt the 39D w/o spacers looks unfinished. Still I wish I had both now. Personally if I were you I would not re-finish either of them. That is just my 2-cents. Enjoy them as they are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts