Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying a Marlin 45-70 for quite some time, but after stumbling upon the Rant page here, I’m not so sure. I wasn’t aware of the decline in quality and changes happening at Marlin.

Is “Marlington” (I laughed at that) turning out ANY good guns? Are they all junk? Is the Handi rifle line experiencing the same problems?

Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Socal

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's!!! :)

From what I've been reading on here from members who have bought new rifles from Ilion, they seem to be hit or miss..

I do NOT recomend ordering a new one online or buy one site unseen!!!
Check out a dealer or a place like 'Dicks Sporting Goods' or 'Cabelas'..

These rifles are very basic, rugged and dependable!!!
Look one over real good, if nothing obvious jumps out at you as being wrong, it should be fine!!!

It may need a little attention, because the action, metal and wood seem a little rough at first, but just a lot of handling and shooting alone will improve that..
If that doesn't do it, there's plenty of well explained step by step DIY projects here on the forum that can be done to improve the action!!!

There doesn't seem to be very many used Marlin .45/70's in the market from what I've seen anyways, but when I do come across one they are usually like new and priced right!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can still find new or very near new pre 2009 Marlins on Gunbroker, Guns America, etc. If I were looking to buy, I'd start there. If I was to buy a new smoke pole, see it in person and look it over very carefully.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Plenty of new 45-70s on the shelves around here (So Fla) I would not buy A new one sight unseen.

A Marlin 1895 45-70 will make you A happy man. If you choose carefully.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
socal44 said:
Is “Marlington” (I laughed at that)
Thank you, I thought it was clever when I coined the term. Everyone else was calling them Remlins.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
From what I hear they may be slightly improving, but I myself would certainly molest (caress, handle) one before I buy. Last year I bought an 1895 GBL 45-70 sight unseen as I live 400kms from a decent gun shop, but as it turned out I was VERY lucky, I received a really, really good one, as it turned out it was older stock and was an early 2009 model with JM stamped firmly on the barrel. Thank heavens for big stock rooms.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
If you're worried about the quality of the new ones then buy a good used one.

There's plenty of like new rifles out there. You'd be surprised at how many buy a rifle, shoot it a couple times and store it away......

I can't speak for the quality of the new ones.....I don't have one and doubt I ever will unless they make a rifle that I've been longing for.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
tlc361 said:
Thank you, I thought it was clever when I coined the term. Everyone else was calling them Remlins.
.Dirty .Thirty was the first one to use it, I believe. :-X ;D

I agree with buying a used one, as well. You'll probably be able to find a nice, better-built rifle that way while paying a little less to boot. A 45-70 is one of those guns that people buy just to have. Of course, there are those of us who LOVE to shoot them...but there are a lot of people who just want to have it in the safe. You can find one that has been shot very little, if you are patient enough. As a matter of fact, a pawn shop near me has a pretty nice one that he can't give away. I would have bought it already, but business has been slow and I work on commission.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Marlin and Remington are my two favorite gun makers. I can't believe a merger could be a bad thing. Maybe it was the Marlin H&R merger that caused the quality control to fail.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My youngest son ( USMC ) just bought a 99% 1895GSNP 45/70 (2006) on gun broker today for $550. As someone said before give them a try.
Bill

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I inspeceted 6 new Marlins with the Remington stamp and felt that only one was questionable. Interestingly, it is an SBL, which is the first model I remember hearing about the droop. This one had it visibly. The others had good wood (better than I've ever gotten), and were a little rough in the action. Kind of like a new Marlin...

That droop has actually been around for quite a while. Its only recently been associated with "Cerebus"

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought one off GB (sight unseen) and got lucky. The fit and finish is excellent and it's a great shooter. I've got about 40 rounds through it so far and no issues.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would not buy one sight unseen. I had a new 1984C in my shop that was a pile of junk. I think it will be going back to Cabella's were it came from. My friend, who bought it, didn't know really what to look for in a rifle and he got a firm screwing on this one. It wouldn't feed .38s unless they were loaded to .357 Magnum length. The checkering lines were incomplete. The screw that olds the magazine tube was bent because the plug in the end was in backwards. The butt stock wood was so poorly fit, the sides of the top tang were exposed. I could go on but you get the picture I am sure.

JC

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
Hank Hunter said:
Marlin and Remington are my two favorite gun makers. I can't believe a merger could be a bad thing. Maybe it was the Marlin H&R merger that caused the quality control to fail.
:eek: :eek:...........H&R had no significant quality problems under Marlins management..........All of the recent problems with Marlin guns are the fault of the "NEW" remington management and business model.

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dr. A said:
I inspeceted 6 new Marlins with the Remington stamp and felt that only one was questionable. Interestingly, it is an SBL, which is the first model I remember hearing about the droop. This one had it visibly. The others had good wood (better than I've ever gotten), and were a little rough in the action. Kind of like a new Marlin...

That droop has actually been around for quite a while. Its only recently been associated with "Cerebus"

What is "the droop"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
buy a good used one
I'm afraid of buying used. It seems as though Marlington has producing rifles for several years so to my way of thinking, there's a bunch of lemons out there on the used market.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
socal44 said:
I'm afraid of buying used. It seems as though Marlington has producing rifles for several years so to my way of thinking, there's a bunch of lemons out there on the used market.
Remington hasn't been making them that long.....

Know what you're looking for then. Get to know the serial number dating sytem that Marlin used so you know what you're looking at. Any 1895 from the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's would be what I would look for. Go and look at the guns in person at gun shops and personally inspect them for fit, finish and functionality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the mistake of buying one a month ago today sight unseen from an online retailer (buds.) The barrel had quite a few scratches in it both near the receiver and up near the end of the magazine tube. The fit of the butt stock to the receiver was horrible, the dovetail for the rear sight was chingered and poorly done and the action itself was very gritty. It wasn't until after I requested my firearm be returned did I discover this website along with the rants section.

I had made my original purchase after shooting and falling in love with a 70's vintage 1895 of my father in laws. I had expected the same quality but was very disappointed.

That being said, I found out today the manager of Buds personally inspected the replacement gun that he shipped to me today 3 day select! He mentioned that the gun he's shipping to me has a "new box design?" and his thoughts are that it's of the newest production run. He assures me that it's in excellent condition but I have yet to put it into my hands.

I will update after I inspect it. Lets hope Marlin got their stuff together!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Socal 44, it seems from your name you might be in (arrgh!) California. I'd also suggest looking at a used one. There is a website called Calguns that promotes private party sales in California. I recently found a Guide Gun, non ported, Marlin made, with some nice lumber for $425. It is at Brockman's now, I'm looking forward to using it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts