Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting this weekend and realized I hadnt shot my 450 in a while. So I brought it a long. I shot it a couple times, and it seemed fine, and shot great.

I let my buddy fire a couple rounds through it and observed a couple of things:.

1. I was shooting my AR right next to him and got pelted with debris. I chalked it up to the fact that it is a ported model and didnt think anything of it. But it almost "hurt". Well today I dug a random piece of metal (very small) out of the side of my head. It looked like aluminum. This has me worried a bit.

2. After that round, the case was pretty stuck in the chamber and I really had to cycle it hard.

Suggestions? I am starting to think there was something in the bore! I keep my guns super clean though and cannot imagine where it came from.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
457 Posts
was this factory ammo, or reloads for your 450?

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, forgot to add that it was factory hornandy 350 grain bullets.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
457 Posts
not to take away from the subject matter here, but once again it is very important that every shooter take the time to look and examine every round of ammo going into our weapons prior to loading them into the rifles or hand guns that we all love to shoot.

Just might save ya one day.

sorry to step on the original poster here.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
not to take away from the subject matter here, but once again it is very important that every shooter take the time to look and examine every round of ammo going into our weapons prior to loading them into the rifles or hand guns that we all love to shoot.

Just might save ya one day.

sorry to step on the original poster here.
I not only inspect & check my hunting rounds......I cycle each & every one of them through the action of the gun they will be used in prior to the hunt.
I don't want to experience a fail to function when the buck or bull of a lifetime is standing in front of me.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I will be tearing it down and looking.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Since you say you shot it first with no issues, then if something did get into the bore, it would have had to be during the time between handing it off to him? First shot he fired, or a later one? If a later one, hard to see how that could happen... unless feeding one at a time into the chamber, and he picked something up off the bench at the same time with the next cartridge and not noticing? Is your follower aluminum and by some bizarre chance it cracked/broke and a piece of it stuck to the nose of the round being fed?
Part of me is wondering if somehow at the Hornady factory a foreign object got inside the one case during manufacturing, like a piece/chip of machinery or something since you think it "aluminum"...?
Anyway, just guessing at any possibilities however weird, and thinking out-loud here. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Administrator
30,585 Posts
Hey Dirty Harry, I would most definitely be concerned. A good tear down might bear insight and do let us know what you find.

Jack

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you say you shot it first with no issues, then if something did get into the bore, it would have had to be during the time between handing it off to him? First shot he fired, or a later one? If a later one, hard to see how that could happen... unless feeding one at a time into the chamber, and he picked something up off the bench at the same time with the next cartridge and not noticing? Is your follower aluminum and by some bizarre chance it cracked/broke and a piece of it stuck to the nose of the round being fed?
Part of me is wondering if somehow at the Hornady factory a foreign object got inside the one case during manufacturing, like a piece/chip of machinery or something since you think it "aluminum"...?
Anyway, just guessing at any possibilities however weird, and thinking out-loud here. Good luck to you.
I dont think he got anything in the chamber as he said he got shot with debris when I shot it 4 times.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Were you to his left where your brass was going in his direction where he could have hit a empty shell as the bullet left his barrel? Stranger things have happened.:hmmmm: Did not see post where other person also got hit when I posted this way out there question. Was reaching. Yea if it is tossing out debris with every shot there is a problem.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My ported one only throws out a whole bunch of noise to the sides! Chamber is fully sealed, the early aluminum statement has me baffled.

·
Premium Member
13,734 Posts
OP, all of my big bore Marlins are factory ported and for the record I wouldn't have anything else. Now down to business, I have shot thousands of rounds through them and have witnessed the following.

- Debris does occasionally exit the ports
- Debris does occasionally hit bystanders
- While instructing others in shooting my rifles I have been hit several times while standing directly to the side
- Others shooting next to me have been hit as well

This was done early on with factory ammo and has continued to happen with hand loads. I no longer setup next to anyone and I always mention to folks wanting to setup next to me that I'm shooting ported big bores.

I "suspect" that you will not find anything wrong with your rifle. It is purely physics. Push something through a tube at high pressure and where the first openings are found - gases and "anything" else will try to exit there.

Anything that can be dislodged in a barrel will try to escape through the ports if size allows. That could be un-burnt powder, any brass shavings, etc. If you have shot lead and not thoroughly cleaned prior to shooting jacketed you may dislodge lead which can be exited at high velocity through the ports.

This may scare off some folk who want or own factory ported Marlins but not me, just be aware and that eye protection is a must if you are around one when shooting.

Hope this helps.......

1895gunner

P.S., anybody too afraid to shoot a ported Marlin after this post, please contact me via PM to sell it. :flute:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.