Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get a 1 year old Leupold, VX-1, 2-7 power scope, model 58800 at a very reasonable price. This scope is typically used on shotguns as it parallax adjusted set at 75 yards. Would I have any problems using on a .35 remington out to 150-200 yards? I believe that most rifle scopes that do not have an adjustable objective are set up for parallax adjustment at 150 yards. The reason I like this scope is that it has the heavy duplex reticle. Would this preset adjustment cause long distance problems? Anyone ever used a "shotgun" scope on a 336?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use a 4X shotgun scope on a .41 Mag carbine. It works well to 150 yards. The duplex gives you built in ranging capabilities AND at least two sighting positions. Mine has a diamond and crosshair center which allows 3 easy sighting points. Love it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
scope

If you hunt in New York that is more than enough scope.
I also hunt in New York and my max distance is 100-150 yards,so I would grab the Luepold you wont be sorry!!
Kevin

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also use a Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope on my 336 30-30 in up-state New York. I love the combination and wouldn't use any other scope.
Fred

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
If you use leupold mounts buy the fwd rings and set the scope far enough so you don't need the offset hammer spur. I use weaver mounts and file new notches in the base to achieve the same thing. I have used the intermediate eye relief scopes on all my lever guns for hunting, and this works great.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jump on the scope. As you mentioned the only issue is the shorter paralax which won't be a problem no farther than you are shooting. Good scope.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just remember, that a scope with mounts and bases will add about 1lb. to the weight of the rifle.

My 336 with Williams 5D sight weighs in at 7.5 lbs.

Look at the XO ghost ring post front sight combination.

SM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts